92 | S2: Flowers & Coronation

<Nagisa>
Early that morning around 6am, Karma and I were waken by the horns blasted from outside our doors and that brought back unpleasant memories from last year.

"Ugh, I shouldn't have drank so much." I said touching my forehead as the maids came into the room. They laid down articles of clothing for the attire we were supposed to wear today for the coronation on the chairs next to the white dressing screen.

Some of them looked at us carefully while Karma and I were still under the covers. When they made eye contact with each other they didn't hold a conversation amongst themselves.

"Hm? What's this?" Karma said lightly skimming his finger over one of the decorated uniforms that was carried by two maids.

"A request from Madam Okuda, she insisted that the four of you are to be colored coded accordingly for her daughter's coronation." The head maid bowed her head, "would you like assistance?"

"Assistance?" I questioned.

"Yes, to be dressed?" She asked asked, "surely you have servants of your own to be doll you up." She added.

"Not exactly." I lightly chuckled but it didn't seem like a joke to her per say. "Only for special occasions usually." I explained, "I think we can manage these on our own. Thank you." I smiled.

"Is that so?" The head maid didn't smile back but instead made hand gestures. The others lined up and walked out of the room. "If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to call us with that wall bell."

When they left, it felt like I was able to breath again. I don't know why but everything thing I do and say seems to insult the people here in Scienion.
I glanced over to Karma out of bed as he continued to admire the uniforms on the bed. They were prominently black but with purple lining, and the epaulettes were white with a slight glisten of gold.

"How thoughtful." He commented while tossing me my pants.

"I wondered if they're tailored too." I sighed and crawled out of bed myself to at least put some pants on.

KNOCK, KNOCK

"You may enter." Karma said scratching his head.

"Hm, I wonder if they forgot someone." I said staring at the door that opened. Thank goodness I decided to put pants on. Unless Karma knew someone was coming.

"Good morning!" Kaede peeked her head in and then revealed her entire body. She was dressed from head to toe with a uniform similar to ours but less decorated and more like something the Queen's Guard of Scienion wore.

"You look amazing." I complimented her as she playfully twirled, "it's fitted well."

"I know right? At first I was skeptical about the colors but I've grown to like it." She spoke while taking her cap off, "a little over the top but why not-."

"You've already broke your promise."
Karasuma appeared behind her and with his hands chopped downwards on her head.

"Ouch." She said with both hands on her head, "sorry I couldn't help it." She giggled, "no harm done when they aren't around."

Karasuma sighed and looked over at us, "best leave them be to get dressed."

"Awe, at least let me help you guys out. I saw you turn the maids down. I presume you're not comfortable wit strangers laying hands on you." Kaede saw right through me.

"In simpler terms, correct." I agreed.

"And that's nothing to be ashamed of, the hands of the gentle ones back at home will only satisfy you. Come, let me help you get into your uniforms." Kaede took off her gloves.

Karasuma rolled his eyes and walked out of the room, "might as well make her a full-time maid." He said, "I'll be discussing matters with the Queen's Guard."

We waved goodbye to him and Kaede got straight to work. Surprisingly, she knew what she was doing and by the time she finished we were actually done on time.
•••••
When the coronation started at 8am, the bell hanging at the highest level of the gothic cathedral rang for the presence of the the princess.

Karma and I sat in the special seats close to the front next to the immediate family of the Manami. Her mother was also sitting in the next row with men that had similar features.

At the alter, Manami wore a soft purple and white gown that protruded layers out from the waist along with the furred robe that sat upon her shoulders and trailed behind her like a carpet.

This time, she didn't wear her glasses and instead wore makeup. Her lips were rosy pink with gloss and her her cheeks were lightly powered.

Music played along with the coronation ceremony and the archbishop stood in front while the other bishops and priests lined behind.

The cathedral was packed and nearly filled to the top with civilians and family members of the royal family. If anymore were to squeeze themselves in, as some were at the moment, the stained windows would shatter and people would drain out like water in a strainer.

The archbishop began to speak on behalf of the church and spoke of the oaths Manami was destined to accept.
Karma and I watched carefully as Manami turned away from the crowd and faced the archbishop who handed her the royal regalia. She took it in her hands with confidence and at the same time, the crown came in on a white pillow carried by a bishop.

"That's it my darling."
I heard Manami's mother speak quietly when the music faded out and the room filled with utter silence.

The archbishop lifted the crown carefully from the pillow and held it with his fingertips with grace when he planted the gem on her head.

He stepped back and Manami raised her head and turned back around towards the crowd and waited for the archbishop to speak again.

"Manami Okuda, Queen of Scienion."

The people began to applaud and cheer long live the Queen when she raised the regalia in the air with triumph. And for a moment, I think the both of us made eye contact and she gleamed happily at me. I think Karma noticed it too and he held my hand with care.

I definitely felt chills from the rigorous moment and the overwhelming feeling was rather nice. Even the civilians would agree too as many of them were blessing Manami from a distance.

When I glanced back over at Manami's mother in the next row, for a second I thought my eyes deceived me. However, I was surely right when I rubbed my eyes to notice that her mother disappeared.

"What's wrong?" Karma nudged my arm.

"She's gone. Her mother." I pointed out.

"Probably needed the toilet." Karma said.

I didn't respond but accepted the reasons as they were. Maybe he's right and I'm just jumping to conclusions again. I sat back and proceeded to clap my hands as the applause saw no means to cease anytime soon.
But no matter how much I tried to ignore it, I felt something dark festering from the shadows.