71 | Everything Cold

<Karma>
The clock struck, ringing soundless within the night. I witnessed the kingdom asleep but trembling in wake. Only the young eyes were watching out their windows. The transparent cries and fire blissfully lighting the kingdom.

Young Roka, tattered and exhausted, struggled to run for what was left of his normal life. His father was slain before him, his mother captured and no where in sight.

Flames swam across the grounds of their home, wrapping around he pillars and chandeliers. What was once the pretty piano music, became loud drums pounding, the heavy wood crashing from above. The flowers and paintings melting, and the darkness continued to cascade.

"We must leave at once before we are caught, hurry now, my young lord."

The knight who escorted six year old Roka out of the burning manor panicked with frozen blood. He and a few others managed to find Roka alive, hiding away in his wardrobe.

Though, Roka was struck with confusion and sorrow, he could not manage to think of running. Ahead of him was a blind road, with no determination of whether this nightmare was going to cease.

"Excuse my rudeness. But we must go at once."
One of the knights picked up Roka and carried him off in his arms. The two others decided to stay back and see if there was any other survivors.
And those who searched for his younger sisters never made it back.

"I'll hide you here for now."

The knight with him travelled far to make it to the gates of the village of Sage Hill. He stowed him away behind the stone wall. Covered by piles of branches and leaves, the knight tried his best to make sure that no one would notice.

"Mind you that a single sound could get us killed." He warned, "I pray for your safety." He softly spoke, looking straight into the dead eyes of his.
Roka didn't reply back.

But a story of his vengeance is only natural. For a child stripped of his everything, that night would turn into vengeance and utter hatred. The fires that burned red, exploded with violence in his eyes. Beyond the sight, the his heart was no longer peaceful, and his world was no longer kind.

I opened my eyes and saw the blurry ceiling above. Angels and harps, clouds, blue sky, painted warmly above. I sat up and saw a faint sight of King Roka, staring out the view of my chamber. He appears calm with nothing to say.
What I just saw wasn't a dream of its own, but his memories.

"I applaud you, young one. The skies are clearing, the storm has passed taking rubble along with it." He looked out.

"It's only beginning. Nothing is over. It never is." I spoke, while noticing my touch beside me. It was Nagisa sleeping quietly on the bed, holding my right hand.

"So you'll carelessly wait for another?" He asked.

"No. But I'll be prepared. With something that happened so abruptly, it threw me off guard." I explained.

"Is that so?" He faced me and glanced over at Nagisa. "Take good care of him." Roka slightly smiled pressing his hand on his heart.

He vanished, leaving behind trail of camellia petals on the floor. Soon enough, those disappeared as well.

I looked down and rubbed the back of my hand on his cheek. The softness that brought ease so simply.

Roka is correct. The skies have cleared, but our hearts hasn't.