78 | Diamond Eye

<Karma>
"Ah. What are you doing inside my dear son?" My mother placed her hand on my shoulder, "aren't Yuriko and Nagisa outside?" She asked.

"Yes, but Nagisa is not fond of me at the moment." I explained, "I'll give him the space he wants."

"You're quite troublesome indeed." She giggled, "how is he doing? How are you doing?"

"Well myself. I hope it's the same for him." I replied, "after everything that happened, it's nice to take a breather."

"Why it's only natural. I'm glad you chose this us as refuge." She smiled lightly and started walking away, "well? Aren't you going to go make-up?"

My mother winked and finally left.
I stared out the windows of the 2nd floor and saw Yuriko and Nagisa in front of the rose bushes. Plus, the multiple knights stationed around the borders of the area. Some from the palace escorting us, the rest were ours.

I think it's best to join them now.
I headed back downstairs and opened the double doors to the garden in the back. A push of wind knocked me back a little and I felt the cool scent of flowers. My mother always keeps the garden tended, even when we have designated gardeners. It's keeps her grounded, my father would say.

I hurried but quietly followed the path Nagisa and Yuriko took. Though, what if he refuses to talk to me? I'll just have to hold on for dear life won't I?

Once I made it close, Yuriko was the first to spot me. She played along as the kind person she is and moved Nagisa over to have his back face me.
••••••••
<Nagisa>
"Hm? What's wrong?" Yuriko suddenly moved me aside and giggled.

"Sorry, the sun was hitting my eyes, sorry to use you to block it." She smiled.

"No worries." I said.

"Well Nagisa, it's nice talking and all, but wouldn't it be best to be by Karma's side? You may not know it well enough, but he treasures what he loves. He may joke around now and then, but he's always serious." She explained, trying to cover up for her brother.

"I know that Karma is like that, that's what makes him unique, but there must be limits. No?" I stared off into the rose bush and she held my sleeve.

"My brother loves you and I hope you know I cherish you as well." Yuriko gleamed. "The fact that Karma has someone that gets mad at him, it brings me ease that he's taken care of." She added.

"He still has his family." I pointed out.

"Yes, true. But I meant at the palace." She giggled, "it's always been us. And rarely did Karma ever have someone that loved him for him." She looked passed me and released her grip from my sleeve. "Can you close your eyes for a second?" She asked.

"Hm? Why?" I wondered.

"Please? Just trust me." She spoke again.

I closed my eyes and waited.

All of a sudden, a light touch of soft lips planted on my cheek. When I opened my eyes after awkwardly waiting for Yuriko to say something, she was gone.

"Yuriko-."

Abruptly, someone yanked me back and I was grabbed from behind. The sudden jerk back startled me, as arms wrapped around my waist.

"Nagisa."
It was Karma's voice.
"I can't believe Yuriko would do such a thing right before my eyes. I have to punish you later." Karma said under his breath.

"Huh? What are you talking about?" I said, trying to get a glimpse of his face. Though, as I tried he wouldn't let me budge.

"I'm sorry." He apologized.

"What for?" I stood still.

It was like the wind ceased to blow and the birds sealed their chirps to listen to us. I could smell his natural scent, throwing my mind deeper into the reasons why I can never stay mad.

"This morning. Well, anything that has made you disappointed in me." He spoke, "It's not a joke, the things I do." He explained.

"I'm glad you understand." I finally replied, "you may think it's fine to do whatever to my body, but making love is supposed to be a unifying moment for the both of us. When you did it to me this morning without waking me, my consent. It's like you're treating me like a mere doll for pleasure. Am I just a naked fruit for your sweet tooth?" I asked.

Karma released his arms and turned me around.
He bent one knee and held my hand with a glum expression.

"I could never. You're my everything and I can't live without you." He kissed the top of my hand.

"Trying to sweet-talk me." I slightly chuckled, "look at you. Have you no shame? Kneeling for a person like me?"

"Whether you call it shame or inappropriate, that doesn't matter. On my knees, I can be amputated and I will still not care for such a concept."

"Karma-."

"Nagisa, can you close your eyes?" He asked.

"If you're going to kiss me too-."

"Trust me." He smiled.

I felt like I was reliving the moment with Yuriko, though this time it's Karma. I closed my eyes. Is he still upset about the kiss she gave me? What is he trying to do?

"Okay, open." Karma said.

I gradually opened my eyes to see him with a ring between his index and thumb, pinching a silver ring with a small diamond embedded.
A gust of rose petals blew towards and past me, leaving me at awe to see Karma, still on one knee.

"It's imminent that in a couple of months, well have our birthdays again. We'll be 17 soon and our wedding at 18. At least let me ask for your hand, your body, and soul, then to have the fate force us. Nagisa, 2nd son of the Shiota House. Will you do me the honor and burn your name, as I will do the same?"

What is this feeling? My cheeks warming up and my hands frozen. I collapsed on my knees, overwhelmed by the proposal. I couldn't look Karma in the eyes. Why am I embarrassed? It's always like this, my heart unstable.
I can only remember the first day we met. At the palace, in the garden as he asked for my name.

When we burn our name, it will be only Karma and Nagisa. He and I. Discard the Akabane and Shiota name, it will be just us. Just like Yua and Roka.

I hung my arms around his neck and leaned in quietly. I could hear his heart beating loudly in my ears, syncing with the beat of mine.
Better than a concert full of woodwinds and strings, it was our music.

"Karma, son of the Akabane House."

I inched back and stared into the windows of his eyes. They were glistening with stars.

"I shall burn my name for your love. As you would do the same."