103 | S2: Hearts from God

<Karma>
When I opened my eyes, I noticed I was back at the palace, but it wasn't any palace. It wasn't Scienion nor the Crescent I knew of, it was the one Roka and Yua knew.

I sat up straight and noticed the silk bed sheets of a large bed, within a room plastered with yellow wallpaper and gold. And of course, this was something I wasn't familiar with but it was quiet and serene.

"You're awake."
I turned my head to the left to see Roka by the window, leaning against the wall. He made his way over and crossed his arms in discouragement.

"I didn't think my death would be so peaceful." I smirked, acknowledging Roka.

"Oh, if you were to die I would snatched your soul and bound it here in my stead." Roka didn't look pleased at all, his tone indifferent.

"Why, I've never seen you in such a state." I pointed out while understanding that I'm very much alive but not conscious in my actual body. "Is it because I lost?"

Roka eyes fired like a blazing light but gradually ceased when he let out a loud sigh.
"What were you doing? You even put your Queen in danger." He finally let out. "What was going through your mind?"

"Last time I checked, I was incapacitated. A dagger through my flesh and my arm ruined. There's only so much I can do." I explained.

Roka didn't seem convinced by my reasoning.
In all the old texts, archives locked within the grounds of the royal library, shelves these stories of the Great King, the Original King. A man who never lost a battle.

"I am not you." I said sternly, "you are the voice in my head, but not the voice in my heart." I stood up next to Roka, his height a few inches taller.

"I may be King, but I am no god." I said the words he said back to me awhile back when he was not fond of my actions then. "I couldn't protect myself, I lost. But do you know what's staining me the most? I couldn't protect Nagisa at all and he was going to join me in death. I am not perfect."

The more I admitted freely, even though every word of it was true, it felt bitter. I need to be grounded, I can't just use the title of King as a platform for blames that I, myself can not handle. My heart feels like it's being crushed and trampled on, the image of Nagisa getting injured keeps replaying in my thoughts.

And I couldn't save him, yet again.

"Tch. Aren't you being a bit harsh on yourself?" Roka sighed and placed his hand on his hip, the tension of the room was fleeting. "Honestly, I am disappointed because of how careless you were, if you didn't make yourself vulnerable, Nagisa would of trusted that you could of handle the situation."

"I know." I agreed, "but hey, that dagger really did a number on me. When I wake up, it will leave a definite scar."

"Sir Lovro did say he was going to. A souvenir for your hard work in foreign land." He patted my shoulder.

"Not a pleasant gift." I sighed, "is it bad?"

"He hasn't left your side since." Roka's breaking smile withered away and his body faded along with it.

All at once, the room became distorted and a blinding light greeted me.
•••••
<Nagisa>
Not letting go of Karma's hand, I couldn't live down the guilt blackening my heart. A day has passed and he hasn't woken up yet. Even though the doctors have reassured me that he will be fine, this feeling in my chest won't go away.

"Why don't you rest yourself?" Kaede said standing next to me. "It won't do Karma any good if you pass out when he wakes up."

"It's okay, I've already been treated. I'm not exhausted." I assured, "but what about yourself?" I asked about her wound.

"The nurses weren't too happy about my sutures reopening." She awkwardly laughed, "other than that, I'm well."

"You are not what I expected." I sighed, "touching her arm, "you didn't have to overexert yourself like that." I brought up.

Kaede shook her head, "my life is in your hands, how you use it is up to you."

"Again with talk like that." I pouted, "Karma and I don't think little of your lives." I reminded her, "how are the others?"

"Queen Manami has minor injuries, nothing life threatening. Hazama has been treated for her burns, other than that she will be fine too."

"And Karasuma?" I asked.

"Dealing with the messenger bird that arrived this early morning. Apparently, they're crossing the sea and will be here tomorrow."

"They already left?"

"Yes, once they heard about what happened, they immediately sailed their ship." Kaede nodded her head. "Not sure who will be arriving though."

"But everything is settled now isn't it?" I glanced back at Karma sleeping.

Kaede rubbed my shoulder and didn't say anything else when she left the room, closing the door behind her.

I leaned over, head hanging downwards as my hands were trembling while holding Karma's. First, they were just simple sniffles but not long afterwords it started raining.

"I'm sorry Karma." I closed my eyes as all these thoughts made me grey. "I'm sorry." I repeated.

If only I could have been stronger then maybe I could of saved the both of us. Overwhelmed, the rain kept showering and I could no longer control it. Releasing my hold on his hands, I brought my hands to my face, wiping the sobs away.

I made sure to keep quiet, despite my voice echoing in pain. However, the more I suppressed them, the more it hurt to contain my emotions. Such a pitiful sight.

"I would like to say that you look beautiful when you cry." I opened my eyes to see Karma barely awake, reaching for my hand. Startled, I reached out for him, wrapping my arms around his neck.

"But it seems like you're not up for a tease." He wearily spoke, nuzzling the side of my cheek.

"Karma." I drew back a bit, touching his face. "How do you feel? Should I call the nurse?"

He shook his head, "just come here." He motioned his hand and I leaned over.

With the soft palms of his hands cupping my cheek, he stared at my lips. With the relief that washed over me, I brought my face closer to his and kissed him.

Even though his lip were dry, it was sweet regardless and I didn't want this to end.