73 | Sweet Daisy

<Yuriko>
One by one, the boys didn't seem to amaze me. Maybe it's my personality that leaves a bad taste and they're not satisfied themselves.

I started to find all the conversations rather bland with the boys. The one sitting across from me particularly held the same fixed expression. By his structured manners and little speech, he doesn't seem to be happy about this meeting.
He's just like the rest of them. He's bored like me.

"So Yuriko, what is it that you like to do with your free time?" He asked the same question that has already been brought up multiple times.

Despite the day full of meetings with boys I've never met before, the glass around us visibly revealed the sun brightly sitting in the sky. His hair was quite similar, golden and blond.

Even when I give a different answer each time, they always reply with, that's great, and moves onto another one to pass the time.

"I like to read stories." I answered, "sometimes if the time permits, I write my own." Even though my replies were different, I wasn't lying at all.

"I read stories myself as well. What kind of genres fancies you? I must say, you seem like the one to get lost in fairy tales." He joked.

I nodded my head.
"Was I correct?" He leaned forward.

"Yes, I do find them a great read, especially when I put myself in the shoes of the heroine." I agreed.

"I can see why. For me, I'm the same. Though, I recommend mysteries, that is, if you have the time." He suggested.

For some strange reason, I was allured by his interest in books like I was. To me, it sounds like he cares about the things that I appreciate.
The others would acknowledge it and move on. I think he may be the one.
I smiled and he chuckled in response.

"If the time ever permits, I think it would be nice to read some mystery novels." I spoke, "will you be the one to introduce me to some?"

His eyes widen and he laughed, "yes, if you would allow me to do so, I would gladly. And when you get the chance, I would love to read the stories you write as well."

The door suddenly swung open and both of us were startled when Karma was stomping in with Nagisa behind him.
Nagisa. What's he's doing here?

"Karma get back here." Nagisa tugged on his arm.

My brother crossed his arms and glared at me. It was not in a manner in which he despised but a vexed one. He stuck out his thumb and pressed it against my lip, wiping away the light cherry lipstick that mother put on.

"Karma!" I stood up. Why did you just do that in front of them.

"It doesn't suit you." He bluntly said.

"Karma, you're being very rude." Nagisa whispered loudly. "I apologize Yuriko."

The fact that Nagisa just witnessed the distasteful actions of my brother. No, it's the fact that he was watching me this entire time, talking to a boy I just met. Why do I feel like I'm cheating? Caught in the act?

I can't help but to feel utterly shy. I want to hide myself away.

"Yuriko. You look beautiful." Nagisa smiled lightly and slapped Karma's arm. Nagisa was able to drag my brother out of the solarium, leaving me alone with him again.

Why did you have to say that I looked beautiful?
My heart started to cloud. This is wrong.

"That was your brother I presume?" He wondered, still shaken from the incident.

"My brother, yes." I answered. "He can be quite troublesome. And I'm glad that we no longer lives under the same roof." I sighed.

"And the one behind him? The Queen?" He pestered.

I instantly blushed but bit my lower lip. I shouldn't feel this way. I stared right into his gaze and nodded my head.

"Yes. Despite not being blood-related, he is dear to me. I consider him my brother as well." I explained.
"I see. Shall we continue?" He motioned his hands towards the seat and I sat down.

Bells of the Saints. This is my duty as the daughter of this household. As Nagisa and my brother had to swallow their pride, their life, their happiness, I must do the same. But in the end, they love each other.

I can't afford to dishonor the sacrifice those two have made for the sake of the kingdom. And for me, it's for the sake of the family.

"Yes, we shall."
••••••••
<Nagisa>
"I can't believe you!" I hit Karma's arm once more, "you had no right to interrupt them!"

"You saw how cheeky Yuriko was! I cannot just stand there and watch her pull the strings." Karma loudly replied.

Karma's mother began to giggle quietly.
"I must say, he's one to be stubborn. At least I can trust that Karma cares deeply of his young sister." She spoke.

"You might be the King, but you surely were out of line. Such a disgrace I must say." Lord Akabane sighed.

"It's Yuriko we're talking about. She's my little sister." Karma tried to explain himself, "try to understand my situation."

I can imagine it. I can relive it if I wanted to. Just like what happened to Mamoru and his chains around his wrist, dragged by our devil mother.
You want the best for her, I know. I can understand it, because sometimes, if you can't protect the ones you love carefully, they disappear.

"They should be finishing up soon." His mother said, "Nagisa dear, is there anything in particular that you want for lunch? I can ask the chefs to prepare something." She offered.

"No, it's quite alright really." I conveyed.

"Mother, he's not a picky eater. He can eat anything with that mouth of his." Karma sighed, though his last sentence kept me on my feet.

From his parents reactions, it looks like they were confused as well. But not in that kind of way. The way that I felt uncomfortable. Why does he have to expose me unintentionally?

"Hm? Is something wrong?" Karma glanced over unfazed, "why are all of you guys staring?"

"Head hard as stone, my word." His father let out a sigh, mixed with embarrassment and tiredness.

"Then I suppose we'll leave the both of you alone till lunch. Let's go dear." Karma's mother excused herself and her husband. They left the door closed and locked for the both of us.

When I turned back to Karma, he was already staring at me without a word. His eyes piercing into my soul without warning.

"Nagisa." He said my name.

"Y-Yes?" I inched back a bit.

He didn't say a word, but he gleamed preciously.
He doesn't have to remind me why I'm here, but I'm indeed grateful.