44 | La Vie est Morte

<Irina>
The milky pink skies and the lifting rise of the sun sent a steady warmth to my chest. It was like camellias were blooming in the wake of day. As I was bounded to the scene, I got up with my covers that wrapped around my pale nakedness.
There was a slight chill but, not enough to make me want to put another layer on.

The kingdom was calm, as if no storm had come in the first place, while I stared out at the bay window that protrude out from the exterior. It's admirable that these window's frame exposed the beauty of the kingdom beyond.

KNOCK, KNOCK

If I assume right, it should be Karasuma. The callous and heavy way he pounded on the doors, ones that I'm very used to by now. However, he is quite early to come at this time.

I walked over to the door and unlocked it to see him.
At first glance he stared at me with surprise and shook his head. I forgot that I was still undress.

"At least have the decency to put clothes on." He spoke. "Hurry and get dressed, we have urgent business to attend to." He added without being fazed by the fact that if I just dropped the covers, I would expose myself.

"What seems to be the problem?" I questioned.
Karasuma came into my room and pushed me in, locking the door.

"It's the Queen, your mother. She's fallen ill." By his expression, I could tell how hung over he was about it. For sure, he was worried.

"H-how? She's been perfectly healthy." I stated.

"I'll explain on the way. Please get dressed." Karasuma opened the door of my room and two maids came bustling in with a dress.

How did things become like this?
• • •
<Nagisa>
The moment I woke up, it was by the touch of someone. I opened my eyes slowly from the fatigue that dragged from yesterday. It was Queen Yua sitting up on my bed, with her long black hair covering her porcelain skin. I thought nothing of the fact that she was undressed by now, I'm used to it.

She caressed my cheek and her hands were quite icy to the touch. Her eyes look gravely lonely as she leaned over and kissed my lips.

"What's the matter?" I cupped her cheek and smiled, "it's been awhile since I've seen you."

Queen Yua drew back her long thin hair behind her ear and looked out the wide windows.

"I must warn you, that I cannot protect you physically." She started, "but if it comes a time you are tired of it all, I will protect you. I'll save what is left of your humanity." She spoke with a mollified sweet tone, "It's more fearsome than I thought and it's not even war."

Her hand reached out for my face again but she faded before it could touch.
And I was left alone again.
• • •
<Irina>
"Tell me, any news since she has become like this?" I asked Karasuma as he stood by the doors in the chamber room of my parents.
My father with his solemn expression as he held mothers hand, while she laid suffering in bed.

Karasuma opened his mouth with a tensity that caused him to tremble on his words.

"Princess Irina, I a-apologize but I was not given any new information-."

"She was poisoned." My father spoke. "While our kind Karasuma went to fetch you, the medical specialists concluded that she was poisoned with a small dosage that curved her near-death experience by slightest. We can only be grateful that she stopped drinking her tea when she did."

"Poisoned? How is that possible?" I question, "w-who served her this morning?"

"Please calm down Irina. You'll agitate your mother more. Sit down for now." My father gestured his hand to come sit next to him.

When I did, he looked up and motioned Karasuma.
"Yes my King?" He knelt down.

"I assume you called for them as well?" He asked.

"Of course. I sent a guard each to escort them here. They should be on their way my King." Karasuma answered.

I stared back down at my mother who had just closed her eyes. I could tell by how uncomfortable she was that she could physically feel the effect of the poison.

How did something like this happen so easily? There's a traitor in this palace itself!
•••
<Nagisa>
Evidently a palace knight came banging on my door with great force to push me out of bed. It was brief and I thought it was quite outlandish but, the Queen has been poisoned.

We both hurried on our way to their chamber. I wonder if Karma is already there? I wonder how he is comprehending this current situation.
Does it have to do with what Queen Yua said to me earlier? If so then-

THUD

Ouch...
Before I knew it, the corner in which we took was blinding as ever, due to the fact that I had collided with another being. As I was on my rear rubbing my forehead, the young man in front of me was doing the same. He looked like a junior butler with his attire, following the youthful glow of his appearance.

"M-my dearest apologies my Queen!" He panically bowed his head on the ground and kept repeating the same sentence over and over.

"My Queen, we are in a hurry." The palace guard helped me up and reminded me.

I patted down my clothes and reached out my hand. The guy who seemed to be around my age stared at me in confusion.

"Come on, you don't intend to stay down there all day, do you?" I questioned with a festering tease.

"N-no. Not at all my Queen." He took my hand and got on his feet with a slight blush of admiration.

"Sorry for troubling you again." He bowed his head and continued forward.

When I thought I had caught something peculiar in the corner of my eye, I had failed to miss whatever it was altogether.
The knight beside me cleared his throat and we began to proceed ourselves.

Once we arrived at the chamber room of the current crowns, it opened before we even needed to knock.
I continued inside and felt the heavy aura of rigidness while everyone was staring back at me. Karma had already made it before me and so did Irina which was understandable.

I witnessed the current Queen laying motionless in bed, as the gloominess consumed the room itself.
Queen Yua was also beside the bed, as she was on her knees weeping over the current Queen.
I don't know if Karma could see it, but I knew that the current King was watching over Queen Yua in agony, as King Roka's body faintly resided beside him.

Karma took my hand and tightly interlocked his fingers, the crushing strength shocked me. We couldn't say anything, but we both knew that hell has struck.