107 | S2: Sailing Home

<Karma>
Atlas, we were scheduled to leave Scienion and voyage back home to our kingdom today. With preparations made, a few knights were to stay behind along with Sir Horibe and Dame Hayami until reinforcements arrived.

Once we made it to the port along with everyone else, Lady Hazama bid her farewells and said that Queen Manami sent her regards for a safe voyage.

"That should be all the luggage I presume?" The Captain of the HMS looked out at the naked ground before us and saw that the knights and sailors were already boarding. Hazama took her leave shortly after sending us off.

"Yes. That should be all." Kaede confirmed as she helped me while I was using a cane to walk for the time being.

Clear as the day sky, the blue ocean before us invited us once again. I glanced over at Nagisa who was talking to my father and honestly I felt a bit irritated.

"I find it amusing." Kaede lightly giggled, "that you're jealous of your own father."

"When you find someone you love, you'll understand." I said with a slight tease.

"Someone like me is not cut out for love." She responded, "my heart is only made to serve the kingdom." Kaede smiled at me yet felt the sting of my words.

"Once we get back to Crescent, I want you to go back home and rest up." When I said that, she blankly stared at me. "Is that a problem?"

"N-no...it's just that I had no intentions of going back home." She awkwardly scratched her head, "I may still be recovering but I cannot rest when everyone else is doing their best."

"At this rate your body will deteriorate." I sighed and pinched her cheek, "everyone has their limits and you've over-reached yours."

"K-Karma?!" She loudly whispered my name in embarrassment, "we're in public my King!"

"Rest assured my King." Karasuma's voice echoed behind us as he made his way in front, "I will make sure Kaede receives proper treatment for her wounds and care once we step off the ship." He coldly glared at her and she jumped.

"If I must..." Her voice trailed away, "My apologies."

"Such energetic youth." Kuro's voice appeared and he waved as he walked by towards the ship along with my father.

"Are we ready to go?" Nagisa gently touched my arm from my left, "Thanks Kaede, I can take over from here."

"Should of been like that from beginning." I rolled my eyes and Nagisa nudged my arm. "Can't you take a joke?" I lightly laughed.

From the corner of my eye, I noticed Karasuma's body shifting and facing back. Following where his gaze went, I witnessed Dame Hayami walking with Sir Horibe towards us with an escort.

"My King, Queen. I hope you have a safe journey back home." Horibe bowed his head and she did as well.

"Thank you." Nagisa conveyed, "we're counting on you."

They nodded their heads with acknowledgement and Dame Hayami took a step forward.

"Before you leave, may I speak with Lady Kayano for a moment?" She met Kaede's gaze and I couldn't refuse. "It won't take long."

Sir Horibe with a confused expression stepped aside as Kaede hesitantly made her way to Dame Hayami's side. The both of them branched away from us to speak privately.

"I wonder why she's so interested in her all of a sudden." Horibe said aloud and Karasuma kept silent.

"Well. They're the only two females amongst us." I pointed out, "a lady-to-lady talk?"

The rest of us shrugged and couldn't comprehend their relationship. Nagisa didn't know either and instead pushed me along, walking to the ship.
••••••
<Nagisa>
With the anchor raised, the ship began to sail once Kaede stepped on the ship. All of us convened in one of the cabins down the hall from ours.

With Kaede sitting next to me, I whispered and asked what Dame Hayami called her for. Essentially, she assured me that it was nothing big and that Dame Hayami just wanted to praise her loyalty to the Crown.

"She asked about my goals in the future." Kaede added, "a girl like me, trained young and serving the Crowns is honorable but she wanted to know for sure if I was willing to tie down my life indefinitely."

The conversation slipped and Kaede didn't mind sharing it with the rest of them.

"She is a mother after all. Of course she would be worried about your decisions." Kuro brought up, "it wouldn't be surprising for us if you retired once we make it back to the Kingdom."

"Retire?" Kaede's hands trembled and she looked down at the wooden floor. "I simply cannot leave my duties."

"It's something to think about." Kuro eyed her while she thought to herself, "anyone would especially after experiencing something like that."

"She is not like most girls, Duke Kuro." Karasuma blocked him from making her thoughts more muddled.

"You are young, Lady Kayano. If you want to live long enough to see yourself have a family of your own, you best make a wise decision. I assume you've skipped out of Bells of the Saints." Lord Akabane spoke.

"Yes." She nodded her head, "it didn't cross my mind when I was scouted by the military to start training then. I still don't plan to." She raised her head with confidence in her glistening eyes.

I was amazed by the fact that the Tempus Five members were so inclined to sway her values and her ambitions as a specialist amongst the military.

I slightly turned towards Kaede and she took a deep breath in and exhaled.

"Do you doubt my loyalty?" She managed to say. "Am I not fit to stand along side you all? Is it because I've failed to protect the Crowns and got myself injured that you doubt my reliability? I know that I am still weak, I know of my mistakes, but I don't plan to give up."

The sparks in her words lit inside me and I could tell by Karasuma's, Kuro's, and Akabane's expressions that they were pleased with her response.
It's admirable enough that Kaede has been put through a lot of stress and responsibilities, especially when she is only a year older than us.

"There you have it." Karma spoke aloud, "beaten down, she will rise back up. I believe in her and whatever choice she decides to make, Nagisa and I will wholeheartedly respect it." He gleamed at her and she gasped from his sudden recognition for her. She was starting to get emotional.

Kuro got up from his seat and nodded his forward to bow, "if you'll excuse me, I'll be on deck." He said as he made it to the door, waving at the knight posted outside. Before he left, he stopped short and winked at Kaede.

"It would be a shame to lose a young talent like yourself."