12 | Target of Lies

<Karma>
The next morning, Nagisa had woken up earlier than usual. He poked at his scars and examined the wounds beneath the white bandages.
When I tried to help him apply medicine onto his healing injuries, he refused and did it himself.

I wonder what's going on in that head of his.

"Do you need anything else?" I asked.

"No...not really." He answered, "but I want to go outside." He added.

"Haha that's funny." I chuckled.

"Huh?"

"You're under palace arrest." I teasingly poked his head, "Not until we figure who was behind all of this."

"You're kidding.." Nagisa crossed his arms.

"You wish." I commented.

"T-then what am I supposed to do now?"

"Catch up on classes, that's about it." I replied.

"Great. Just great."  Nagisa was very displeased with the matter and even threw a small fit. Just watching him complain that like, it's really was adorable.

"And what if I happen to sneak out?" He brought up.

"Then I'll find you and tie you to the bed. Lock the door with heavy chains while we're at it" I added.

Nagisa coughed from my words and his face was blushing. Was it something I said?

"Just leave me alone for now." He tried to shoo me away.

"What? Just yesterday you didn't want me to leave your side." I smirked, "think you can't control yourself?"

The door slammed in front of my face and I found myself outside of the room. Guess he didn't like my joke.

The two guards had happened to look my way and I shrugged.

"Queens are troublesome aren't they?" I️ scratched my head, but they didn't reply. They quickly glanced at each other and went back to standing like statues.

Well, I think it would be best to check up on Karasuma and see how he is doing on his end.
•••
I knocked upon the grand double doors of the Red Halls that was currently reserved for the palace knights.
A guard that I didn't not recognize, opened the door and he remembered who I was right away. He swung the door wider and knelt on one of his knees.

"My King!" He dropped his head.

"Uh...." I awkwardly stood there looking for Karasuma.

Then I saw him walking towards us. He raised a questionable brow and knelt beside the man when he came. After a few seconds he stood back up.

"What can I do for you my King?" He asked.

"I was wondering if you got anywhere with what happened to Nagisa." I replied.

"I️ can assure that everything is running smoothly." He spoke, "there is nothing to worry about my King."

"May I see your progress?"

Karasuma didn't seem willing to show me and the knight who was still kneeling finally got up.

"If you're interested then we can." He conveyed, "it shouldn't be a problem." The other knight spoke first.

"There is no need to burden you." Karasuma said right after the other one had spoken.

For some strange reason, it felt like I shouldn't dig deeper. For both our sakes, I'll stay out of it for now.
Why was he so passionate in trying to keep me out of it?

"If you say that everything is fine, then there is no need for me to get involved." I spaced myself from them.

Karasuma nodded his head, "if problems should arise, I️ will notify you immediately." He bowed his head and stared confidently into my eyes.

"Please do." I smiled and I left.

<Karasuma>
"Sir. You're quite bold to shut down the King." He pointed out. "Why?"

I closed the door and proceeded in with him and the others. They all looked at me waiting for an answer too as they all overheard.

"Our next King possesses moral justice, however he does not have the will within him to end a life." I explained.

"So he does not know about how we will punish the man who tried to kill the Queen?"

"No and anyone here who is asked about it will not speak of the details." I️ made sure to be loud and clear when I said that.

They didn't seem convinced that I would give them the chance to lie. They all looked at each other confused.

"That is impossible, Sir. We cannot do that." One said and they all agreed.

"You will and anyone who fails to will be reprimanded by me." I caustically glared at them all and they all got startled. "And if he holds it against your will, you better be ready to give up your tongues." I️ went on, "you're the palace's honorable and chivalrous knights, I expect you all to respect the fact that some things are meant to stay secret to uphold the safety of the kingdom."

They all watched silently without any kinds of movement.

"Do you hear me men?!" I shouted.

"Yes, Sir!" They all exclaimed in a unison.

"Good. Now let's continue." I gestured and we resumed with our findings.
•••
<Nagisa>
It's rather boring to stay cooped up in here. The more I stare at the giant painting, the more I find myself growing more irritated.

"What do you think I should do?" I turned my attention towards the Original Queen who was sitting in the chair far from the bed. Her black long hair that was messily arranged.
She pointed at my quiver loaded with arrows.

"I don't think they'll allow me to shoot targets in the state that I am." I explained.

"Don't you find it tiresome young one?" She got up from the velvet arm chair and slowly walked towards me. "Tiresome that you can't protect yourself? Are you satisfied that someone has to always save you?"

She did make a fair point and naturally I would want to practice and get some exercise. She smiled softly with such a mother-like tenderness. One that I had never even received from my own mother.

"Become stronger. Then you'll able to change the world around you. If you rely on time and other people, you'll regret the future ahead."

The Queen wrapped her arms around me and then she suddenly vanished as she did. I don't know if it was her power that raised my morale, but something within me gave me more motivation.
I climbed out of bed and got dressed. I should be fine right? All my major injuries have somewhat healed. I checked my bandages and then grabbed my bow and quiver.

"No one but Karma would have the power to stop me. Just as long as I don't confront him, I'll be fine.

I opened the door and the two guards turned around and knelt down and bowed their heads.

"If you could, I would like it that you didn't tell the King where I am. If something should happen, I'll be at the archery range."

"Yes sir!" They replied and I took my leave.

Why did I have the feeling that I just cursed myself?