65 | A Soul Farewell

<Nagisa>
There was no need to persuade Karma anymore. He agreed to let Mamoru join us on the search. And as of the moment, no flares were shot; my mother was still on the loose.

"When did you technically wake up?" Mamoru asked, "you've been gone for many days. I started to think that you kicked the bucket before I did." He chuckled.

"Mamoru." I shook my head.

I glanced over at Karma and sighed.
"Just seconds before you arrived you could say." I replied, "a couple of days for me even felt very long. I couldn't stand it myself."

"The fact that you're back now is great in itself. I'm glad to have you back Nagisa." Mamoru smiled.

I nodded my head at my brother but I felt a chilling glare beside me. Again, I looked over to Karma on my left side and he was sulking to himself in quiet.

"Don't tell me you're jealous of my brother?" I raised a brow, "you can be such a child sometimes Karma." I said with displeasure. However, I found it cute of him to think that Mamoru would be his competition.

"My King, I don't mean to be rude but, Nagisa is my brother. When push comes to shove, he used to be my little sister too." Mamoru brought up.

"What are you trying to say?" Karma glanced over.

"That just because your the reincarnated King, doesn't mean I'll let you have Nagisa so easily." He winked.

"Guys." I shook my head from the silent battle between the two. Why can't I defend for myself? I can make my own choices too, "stop acting like children already."

Even though this was no joking matter, it felt nice to recollect a different kind of emotion. Rather tense and serious, I guess these two just nonchalantly do whatever they want.

"But on another note." Mamoru started, "I still can't fully entrust Nagisa to you. You've done him wrong and I don't want you to make false promises that end up hurting Nagisa." He spoke.

I glanced over at Mamoru.

"Mamoru-."

"I understand that my previous actions can never be forgiven, but I know for sure that I won't leave Nagisa alone anymore." Karma gazed into my eyes as he spoke and my heart fluttered oddly.

I really don't know everything that had happened since I was gone, but despite Mamoru being hard on Karma, I felt like there was still that prominent respect.

RUSTLING

The sound of rusting tree branches and leaves crunching caught our attentions. We stopped our horses and idled silently to see if the noise would pass or if it was posing as a potential threat.

I reached for an arrow from the quiver on my back and listened very closely. I prepared my bow and aimed in the direction the sound last came from.

SUBTLE-RUSTLING

I released my grip while my aim was casted towards one of the towering trees above.
Then we waited to see what would happen.

"Probably just a bird or some kind critter." Mamoru said, "thought I was hearing something myself too."

I glanced back at the tree of where my arrow had disappeared to, and soon after thinking I had misfired, there was blood streaming down the branches and dripping onto the green grass.

"I know you're up there. Either you come down and show yourself, or I'll shoot again." I warned.

"Figures." Karma chuckled and stepped down from the horse along with Mamoru.

Karma unsheathed his sword and Mamoru had his hands on his hips, waiting also.

"Wouldn't think less of the Queen." A female voice projected from the trees above and eventually, a woman came down.

She landed gracefully with her short pink hair and with an arrow lodged in her left arm, bleeding aggressively.
She bowed her head and smiled.

"It's a pleasure." She spoke while putting her hand on the arrow and pulling it out. "Didn't expect you guys to come around in this area."

"Who are you." I said, lowering my bow.

"My name is Ritsu. Nothing more and nothing else." She glanced over at Mamoru with a crazed expression to eat him.

"You must be a mercenary." Karma presumed and pointed his sword at her, "and from how you're willing to show yourself, you value your life." He said as he expressed an intimidating look.

"Why is it a girl like you need to bend so low for money?" Mamoru questioned.

She lightly laughed, not by the idea, but by how humorous it was that we didn't know.

"Nobles like you wouldn't understand." She stared at him without life in her eyes, "in a world like this, you have to do whatever it takes to survive."

"So what will it be?" Karma asked, "will you cooperate?" He added.

"And be thrown into a dungeon? Well, surely you must think little of me." She grinned.

Mamoru glanced over at me and I shrugged.

"We'll consider what your fate will be, but for now, tell us everything you know. Why were you following us?" I crossed my arms and tilted my head.

"Well at least I know who is the leader of the group." She sat down and giggled. "Fine, if you'll consider not tossing me behind the rusty bars, then I'll tell you." She winked.

"You have our word." I promised.

Karma and Mamoru looked bewildered by the fact that she was willing to cave so easily. When it comes down to it, no one wants to truly die. And I can tell by her eyes that she's not all that evil. Just lost and helpless in this twisted world.

"You must be looking for Lady Shiota." She spoke, "but as a group that you are, I think it would be wise that the sons settle this." She suggested, "or those protecting her, will definitely kill him." She looked over at Karma as if she knew he would die if he stepped over the threshold.

In the current situation bestowed upon us, she is right. And if Karma were to be present, who knows what rumors would fester.

Especially the family scandal where my own mother would murder the Queen and frame me, in order to get to her older son. Even though I was a victim to the game, I still bear the Shiota family name. And the fact that I'm related, Karma would be suspected of conspiring at this point.

Many of the citizens of Crescent kingdom still don't trust me and for them to lose their trust in Karma...the kingdom will surely fall.

Only Mamoru and I can handle this matter. And I know Karma would always say that I should rely on him. But like before, I have to prove myself. If I don't, how can I look Karma in the eye as an equal?
And it's my family, I know I'm being selfish right now but I think Karma would do the same.

I stepped forward and reached for her hand. She took it and I helped her up on her feet.

"If you know where she is hiding. Take us."