32 | Life Ahead

<Nagisa>
The next day approached sooner than expected. The wedding ceremony was to be held at 2pm, meaning I have 9 hours to get ready since I woke up at 6 am.

Mamoru would wake up at 8am, eat, get dressed. Get styled up and everything that a groom goes through. That following hour the bride to be, his fiancée would arrive. Those two won't meet each other until the actually ceremony itself, when she walks down the isle.

I stepped out of my room to see that the servants were already at work in the enormous yard in the back. Through the windows, I watched as they polished the white stone water fountain, hung up the floral decor, and decked the area with more occasional flowers and bouquets. They all held lamps to lighten their path, as the sun was not yet to rise.

"Have you've spoken to the girl?"

I turned around to see father up and about. He looked out the window with me and sighed.
"Your mother is going to burn down the kingdom at this rate." He added.

Even if it sounds foolish he was right.

"You could say that." I lightly chuckled in response, "and yes, I've spoke to Hara's daughter. She should be up by now too."

"So it's Hara's daughter now is it?" Father seemed rather pleased, but uneasy at the same time. "It feels all too soon." He continued.

"I'm getting anxious just thinking about what we are committing. But it's all for a good reason. I patted fathers back, all too soon, but isn't this the time?"

While I spoke, father's facial expression gave off this confused and disproportionate aura. He leaned closer to the window to get a better view.

"What is it Father?"

"Who is that young Miss out there?" He pointed at a dark figure waving her arm in the air. I saw the same girl and before she had done anything else, I could tell by her quiver, that it was Kaede.

"Someone you picked up in town?" Father placed his hand on his hips. I've never seen such a disillusioned  expression.

"No! Why I would never! Have faith in me father." I embarrassingly replied, "she's a specialist from the palace. A good friend." I explained.

"A friend?" Father motioned his hand and grabbed the attention of a servant outside. With sign language, Father told that servant to bring Kaede inside.

"To think that you would make friends in such a well defined social hierarchy." Father sighed and continued, "anyways, she may be a palace archer, but it's quite cold outside for a girl with no coat." Father walked passed me and I followed behind to meet up with Kaede.

I missed how honest Father was when it came to others. But did he honestly think that she was a girl I picked up in town? A shameful thought indeed! But if there was one thing father had always had judgement on, it was social status and where people stood. Things maybe different for Aika because of her father's title, but in the end it's hypocrisy. 
•••••
I stared long and hard at Kaede who randomly turned up at this hour. She herself looked rather complacent, as if she was here on her own merits. Though it was obvious that wasn't the case, if she had known where I had gone.

"Explain yourself." I demanded.

She nodded her head and reached into her breast pocket, revealing a letter.

"Ordered by the King himself." She answered.

"Karma sent you?" I took the letter and read it myself. The formal writing disguising his childlike behavior of sending a baby-sitter. Words that exemplify protection and safety, were all but words of loneliness and worry.