47 | Heavy Rain

<Nagisa>
DRIP, DROP

No matter how hard I tried to make this a little easier for myself, it was futile. I could only watch the same water, dripping down onto the stone ground beside me, leaking into a drain.

There was barely any light, as the torches were the only thing conceivable. Everything and everyone was silent around of me. Maybe it's because I was put into a different section of the dungeon than the others.

I don't know if I should be grateful.
At least I can hold myself to my own shame alone. Think to myself in this emptiness, the bowels of the Kingdom.

Maybe I did conspire to have the Queen dead. I don't even know anymore. The more I sit here laying waste, I've realized that I can't rule my own fate. I never did. There are so many times when my body took over, torturing me. That time when I met Kaede, to when I was at the Akabane manor.

If my mind can drown me into those situations, then it can make me do the unthinkable.
Everything is a lie to me. I don't know why I even bothered embracing this twisted life. I cannot be happy, brilliant like the sun.

Karma hasn't even come here once. I get my food and regularly go to the bathroom when I need to. I haven't washed since I was thrown here.

The King must think that I'm dangerous. A murderer, or just a threat to the kingdom.
The Queen is still alive right? Is she well? I don't know what her condition is...

But part of me didn't want to end it there. Karma is the reason why I continued to walk forward. The fact that he's not here, when I need him the most...it agonizes me.
This just shows how truly weak I am.

I knew back then that one day, he won't always be at my side to guide me but, this time, it's me against the whole world. I don't know how to deal with this. I don't know what to do! I need help, I need someone to listen to me and tell me...that I'm not crazy.
I mean no harm to anyone. I don't want the Queen dead, how could I? Right?

PITTER, PATTER

I used my hands to cover my ears. This is a joke...a joke. This cannot be real, a lie. Why? Why?
•••••
<Kaede>
It's such a terrible sight out there.
While looking out from the east towers of the palace, near the training grounds, I saw the hoard of people making ruckus at the gate.

"Just when we thought the people were on his side." Teraska voiced startled me from behind. In his armor, he approached me with bitterness but, it wasn't directed towards me. "Have you've heard anything else?"

I rested my arms on the stone wall that came up to my to chest. I shook my head apologetically.

"I was told just as much as everyone else outside the kingdom. And if I weren't Nagisa's good friend, I think I would be just as angry as the civilians." I added. "But all I can conjure up right now is disappointment."

"So you do believe it? That Nagisa was conspiring against the current Crowns?" Terasaka nudged my arm.

"I don't want to. But everything points to him." I explained. "If the King himself says it's true, can we really say otherwise? We'll be caught in it as well."

Terasaka looked out ahead.
"The timing is too perfect." Teraska reminded me. "It's highly likely that he's been framed.

"I hope that it is, say do you think that I can go visit him?" I poked my head up, "or will the King think that I'm a traitor as well?"

Teraska pondered to himself and nodded,

"If the King is willing to throw Nagisa in the dungeon, and even send the Reincarnated Child to his death then anything is possible."

"Nagisa." I started to unconsciously pout to myself.
"I wonder if Mamoru knows? He must right? He woke up recently."

"Go ask yourself. My break is over." Teraska started to turn around and head back down stairs. "Oh, and if you need the keys, I have them."

I tiled my head.

"Huh? Why do I need keys? For what?" I followed behind him.

Terasaka reaches into his pocket and held up a large ring, holding various keys. Different shapes and sizes.

"For the dungeon."
••••••••••
<Karma>
One after another, Aika had requested to speak to me. Now that Mamoru is awake, he calls for my presence as well. What a time to wake up in the midst of confusion and bloodshed.

I can't hide forever from the both of them. So I decided on my own accord to visit Mamoru, who was still recovering. How should I relay the message? And if he asks about Nagisa's state...I don't know anything.

Even for me, I've been placed under constant supervision until Nagisa's trial. So Karasuma here, has been with me every second of the day.

"Does something trouble you, my King?" Karasuma asked we both walked down the medical halls, where Mamoru and Aika were.

"When I talk to them, can I ask for you to stand outside the door and wait?" I glanced over.

"Of course, but the door can't be locked" He added.
"That's fine." I agreed.

Once we arrived, I instantly received a cold shoulder from Mamoru.

"What the hell is happening out there? Why has Nagisa been arrested?" Was the first thing he said.

I sat down beside Miss Aika who flinched when I did. But she bowed her head and stared at her hands, that were resting on her lap.

"He was caught conspiring to attempt murder...on the Queen." I spoke.

"I know that already. I want you to tell me what you know. You cannot simply let this lie continue right? You've cleared his name, right?" Mamoru's tone became harsh and static.

I simply got up from the seat and bowed my head.
"My King..." Aika nervously got up as well and tried to stop me from doing so.

"I've failed him." I said to Mamoru. "I've been forbidden to go near the dungeon, speak to Nagisa, any form of contact is restricted. They wouldn't allow me to reopen the case. The trial is soon and Nagisa."

Mamoru raised his hand up and made a tight fist.
"If I weren't in this state, I would of knocked you out right now. I don't care if your the King, but if you can't protect my brother as you promised you would, you're just like those scum who've framed Nagisa." He closed his eyes and rested his arm on the bed.

"I deeply apologize that I'm unreliable-."

"I'm not the one you're supposed to be apologizing to. To hell with you if I could really think aloud. Nagisa trusted you. The fact that you aren't fighting for him, calling out the King's mistake. You can only be dead to me." Mamoru interrupted.

I couldn't say anything back because, he speaks the whole damn truth. I could only listen to him in shame.

"Tell me. If you can't do anything else for him. Do you think that he tried to kill the Queen?" His expression loosened to a worrisome, almost broken look. Aside him his older appearance, he and Nagisa were facially similar.
And that decided my resolve.

"No, I don't think he did it. I know that he is innocent."