66 | Vacant Hearts

<Nagisa>
With all the trust I could muster, I believe that Ritsu would take us to our mother.
The three of us followed behind Ritsu as she led to a small church that belonged to the Shiota estate, which was around a thirty minute walk from the manor itself.

Knowingly, every noble family had a designated church to themselves for the blessing of their heirs. Mamoru when he turned 16, was blessed by the priest of the kingdom and the others. However, they are open to the public of those residing within the area as well.

Who could of thought that she would hide here. The place where the heirs would take the heavy burden of responsibility for the rest of their life.
This place was also the building where I watched my own brother sign his life away.

Ritsu unlocked the door and before opening, she turned around, facing Karma.

"It's for your own safety that you wait outside. I'll be standing guard along with you." She assured.

Karma didn't look all too convinced about the idea of leaving me alone, even if I was with Mamoru. Even I was worried if this was actually a trap more than anything. Carelessly waltzing into danger, we will never know.

I placed my hand on his arm and caressed it.

"Don't worry Karma, I'll be fine. I'll be out soon okay? Mamoru will be with me." I smiled vaguely.
"It's best this way too. I understand that you're a clingy type, so rest assured." Mamoru slightly bowed his head to Karma, "he is my little brother after all, I won't let my mother touch a hair on his head." He jokingly said.

Despite the need for humor to relieve ourselves from the tensity floating about, it was no use. I could only grin falsely, but it didn't feel comfortable to do so.

Ritsu opened the church door and it freaked a bit as we entered. By the door, Ritsu and Karma looked over expressionless. I waved and Karma told me to be careful with his solemn eyes.
Then the doors closed.

Mamoru was by my side as we proceeded to walk to the alter in the front. That was when we saw someone; a woman sitting in the first row with a white sheer scarf over the head, revealing the navy blue hair underneath. The lady was our mother.
And I couldn't help but to wonder...if maybe there was a chance to become a real family.
But the idea slipped through my mind when I heard her voice.

"Things could have been easier if you would just come back to me quietly. But no, you just had to disobey me and run off like a stupid child." Her voice echoed grossly in the small church.

I swallowed and stared above at the vibrant, glass stained windows and the statues of saints within the arches of the walls. When I looked back down, our mother stood up, with her back facing us.

Mamoru's hand slightly trembled, but he was able to ignore his fears and confidently face our mother.

"Mother, this could of been avoided if you had just-."

"Silence! Avoided you say? Yes it could of been avoided. But you? You just had to become a trouble child just like your younger brother...tsk. I had more expectations from you." She coldly spoke while turning around.

"I could of had a simple life with your father, the two of you if it weren't for the birthmark."

She glared at me and pulled the white scarf from her head and let it sink swiftly into the wooden planks of the church's floor.

"I thought I told you to keep out of our family's business. You belong to the kingdom now, you're no longer my son and yet you're harboring him?" She crossed her arms and loudly sighed, "where did I go wrong, where?"

Her eyes struggled to find reality in this matter as she would only pick at what she thought was right. It's not that Mamoru is disobeying her because I brainwashed him, it's because he's done with being caged to such a shackled life.

And it was me who gave him the key to escape.

I touched Mamoru's arm with a slight gleam. He nodded his head and I walked past him to stand before the woman who gave birth to me.

"I don't know why you're like this, but I cannot ignore it. Mamoru is entitled to his own life. He will still be your one and only son, who will take on the Shiota name, but you must give him freedom. Especially to love who he-."

"You don't understand do you?" She grabbed ahold of my collar with her eyes ravaging crazily. "You don't know anything! You're just a vessel for the Original Queen, you're a puppet with a wired brain. Stop interfering with our family business!" She exclaimed with crass and anger.

"Nagisa!" Mamoru shouted.

"And yet you still gave birth to a puppet like me!" I found myself slipping into the same low level as my mother. Even though I tried to stay calm, everything was flooding out of me. My detest for my mother, and her disability to see the truth!

"J-just die you cursed child of the devil!" She raised her other free hand in the air and I saw glint of something shiny flash into my eye, causing me to squint for a few seconds.

A dagger.

"You don't understand...everything was taken away from me when you were born!"

"Nagisa!" Mamoru's voice rang in my ears as I just watched my mother fall completely into her own world once more.

I've always wondered who could of influenced her so much that she would become narrow-minded like this. And I question what in the world damaged her so much, that it became irreversible at this point.

Through her naked eyes, I saw my reflection. Even though she sees me, she will never see me. Even now while she holds me with a tight grip, she is not looking at me. She never has and never will, because all she wants to acknowledge is Mamoru.
And sadly, she will never attain her wishes.

Mamoru pushed me out of the way and I fell back on my rear. He was standing between my mother and I with his arms drawn out like angelic wings.
Her world is finally crumbling down, caving in and set ablaze. And the three of us would stand there to watch everything gradually whisk away in ruins.

Mamoru dropped to his knees and quietly started to chuckle aloud. I knelt beside him to see the dagger pierced through his chest, where his heart was.

"Mamoru!" I started to panic with my own voice gasping for oxygen. "Mamoru!"

Blood drew from his chest and started to spread, staining like a havoc disease.

Even in a church like this, how could a god exist?