74 | Little Sun

<Karma>
Hmm? Why do I feel so exhausted?
I slowly opened my eyes to see a familiar ceiling above me. I propped myself up, leaning my back against the soft pillows.

Rubbing my eyes, I noticed that I was in my room. When did I get here? I looked down to see that Nagisa's coat was laid on the side of the bed, almost slipping.
Was he here with me? Ouch.
There was a slight pain on the side of my head, as if it was throbbing a bit.

"Ah, I see that you're awake my King." A maid appeared with a tray in her hands. She set it down on the table and picked up a pot, pouring tea into a cup.

"Where is Nagisa?" I asked, still lost in my own thoughts.

"Ah, he's with lady Yuriko at the moment." She replied while handing me the warm cup.

"Could you please tell me what happened?" I yawned, taking the glass cup carefully.

Her tilted her head.
"You don't remember taking a short nap? You and the Queen decided to take a rest after Lady Yoriko's meetings." She explained.

"That's what happened? Why can't I remember?" I laid my head on my arm, "what time is it? Did I miss lunch?"

She shook her head, "you've been asleep for an hour. Lunch will be in thirty minutes. I suggest you clean up now, my King. Surely, you would like to spend time with him?"

I slightly chuckled and brushed my arm against the white linen.

"I think it's best that he spends time with my family more than me. He needs it right now." I spoke.

"I most certainly understand." She bowed her head, "I'll do my upmost to make sure that he is able to relax during his stay here. I'll remind the staff as well." She assured.

"Thank you, you are very reliable." I appreciated how thoughtful she was.

By then, she left, leaving me alone in the bedroom. I think I should get up now. When I think about it, Yoriko could be trying to seduce Nagisa. I can't let her have her way.
But what am I even saying in the first place? My own sister? I need to stop.
••••••
<Nagisa>
...ah. I just felt a chill just now.

"Nagisa?" Yuriko called my name with a worrisome expression.

"S-Sorry." I lightly chuckled, "it's my turn, correct?" I asked.

"Unless you want me to take your turn." She rolled her eyes playfully, "what's the point of challenging me to a game of chess if you're not going to take this seriously?"

She does have a point. I guess I was being indecent for making her go out of her way just to play a simple game. Though, I think she feels insulted.

I moved my white rook down the board.
"About the Bells of the Saints, how many boys did you meet?" I brought up.

She examined the pieces and moved her pawn, taking one of my bishops.

"Only four of them. There was only one that peaked an interest. I'll have to tell mother later. She says that I must choose wisely for a second meeting." Yuriko finally connected to my gaze.

"I see. As long as you're not stressed about it, then I think you'll make the right decision." I took my rook and took out one of her knights.
"If you say so." She didn't look convinced.

I crossed my leg and carefully watched Yuriko. She's mature, poise, and like any feminine young lady I know of.
I suppose she's not very fond of this event, especially when she can't fall in love like a normal girl. That is, the pros and cons of being born into a noble family. Marriages are arranged, with little freedom to choose.

"Yuriko, I know I have no right to say this but, I do know how you feel. You're worried that you'll get hurt by choosing the wrong person. I know our situations are different, but they're much the same. I'm forced to take Karma's hand ever since the womb. Growing up, I made sure that I would never return the love that has bound us but didn't think that love was real. I slowly began to realize my own heart."

Yuriko's eye's twinkled with faith. She looked down, almost like he regretted how she thought of her situation.

"You'll fall in love gradually. I know it's rather forced, but if you can see past the paper work and meetings, the person in front of you, is the one supporting you."

I noticed that my own voice started to become hazy. I too, was moved by my own words. What about Mamoru's case? How can I tell a young girl like herself, that she'll definitely fall in love with a boy she's supposed to marry? How can I be so confident?

"And if it doesn't work out in the future, we'll be there to save you Yuriko."
I turned around and saw Karma at the door. Yoriko stood up in response, diverting her gaze.

"You're just saying that." She scrunched her dress within her hands, crinkling it.

Karma walked over to our name and placed his hand on his chin. After a couple of seconds, he moved my white queen. Checkmate.

"If you ever find someone else, we'll be there to encourage you. If mother and father won't allow it, we'll be by your side no matter what. So for now, take this slowly. Remember that you're not wedded until you're 17 years old." Karma said, "until then, you just have to find your own reasons."

I stared at how lonely Karma's expression was. He's in pain, but not physically, just mentally. Even though Mamoru was my brother, Karma took it into his heart. He knew that his sister would also face the same degrading wall of nobility that Mamoru did.

"I'll take your word for it." Yuriko smiled, "so you'll cheer me on?" She picked up the Queen and King pieces in her hand, holding them carefully.

"Of course." I replied.

Karma nodded his head and placed his hand on my shoulder. Yuriko gleamed with dazzle and randomly raised a brow.

"Um, if you don't mind me asking, did you injure yourself?" Yoriko pointed at my collar.

I looked down and pulled my collar out to see.
"I don't think I did-."

There was a large hicky on my collar bone, with smaller ones hidden.

"Looks like they started to show." Karma peeked as well, "that's what you call marking what is yours." Karma pinched Yuriko's cheek.

"I don't understand what that means." Yoriko swatted his hand away.

I froze with embarrassment, the heat burning inside me. Karma! Don't say such indecent words in front of your sister!

"Hahah, don't think much of it Yoriko. You'll know once you're old enough." He laughed.

"Karma..." I shook my head, "you're an idiot."

Just now, I couldn't help but to be influenced by your words but after you just said those things, how can I take you seriously? You're always ruining the mood!
Sometimes I wonder how he's the reincarnation of the holy original King Roka. Surely he wasn't like this...right?