53 | The Wake of the Queen

<Kaede>
After finishing my letter, I awaited for another messenger bird to come my way. A day has passed since I left the palace and let's just say that constantly riding a horse gets very uncomfortable quickly. This morning, I made it to the village of Rosemary, after my confrontation with those boys yesterday.

It was to my luck and after a warm palace greeting, that they initially spilled everything.

"Kaede is that you?"

I brought my gaze back down from the sky and saw fellow classmates from a few years ago.

"Sugino, Rio, and Yukiko, how you've been?" I greeted them individually.

"It's been a year and that's all?" Yukiko hugged me and I shoved the letter into my pocket and wrapped my arms around her.

"Haha, sorry guys." I apologized.

"You're a busy Lady after all, no need for an apology." Sugino assured with his friendly smile.

"How long have you've been here?" Rio asked.

"Around six hours, more or less." I answered. "It's been hectic of course." I agreed, "right now I'm just running some errands for the Crowns, what are you guys up to?"

"Running business as usual." Rio grinned, "but Sugino here has been in and out of the job, you hear that he's been training to become a knight all this time?" She laughed.

"You don't have to make it sound like it's impossible." Sugino sighed with displeasure and Yukiko comforted him with care.

"Well then, I will see you soon won't I?" I giggled.

Sugino with an awkward gesture glanced at the rest of them and then at me.

"I'm glad you have faith in me. If you don't mind, what's Nagisa's condition? We've only heard the awful news. Surely it's a mistake right?" He inched in closer for words or relief.

"I had to learn the hard way. But it's not me who should be telling you if he's innocent or not, you decide." I patted his shoulder.

My own punishment for even thinking Nagisa could of been guilty, is risking my title and my life for him now. An atonement for my sins? I don't think so. Nothing can redeem my honor at this point. I just want Nagisa to be safe, I really do.

"Back then, I really didn't pay mind to the noble families. But I knew that you of all people, had connections for a few of them. Then you must know Nagisa personally, if you aren't addressing him formally." I pointed out.

"Yeah, my bad." He glanced away, "we go way back, since birth you could say. Well, I could be exaggerating at this point. But I grew up with him, especially during those years I thought he was a girl." He explained.

Right after, we heard a cawing of a bird. I looked up and saw a messenger bird from the palace and placed my finger between my lip and whistled. It circled around us for a few seconds, before it noticed the us and set down on my arm.

"From the palace?" Yukiko looked astonished.

"Yeah. I'm relaying my information." I took the scroll from its leg and tied my rolled up letter around its leg. Then I took out a silent whistle that only members of the royal military had, to send messenger birds directly back to the palace.

The bird flared its black flight feathers and cawed before it flew away.

The three of them watched me as I un-scrolled the letter. It was from Sir Karasuma, as his named was signed at the bottom.

Dear Lady Kayano,
Our King, Karma had ordered me to send you this letter before we headed to the current King himself, to reconsider Nagisa's fate. It would be best advised if you would come back to the palace. By the time you receive this letter, we would be speaking to the King and negotiations may not be possible.