19 | Still Life

<Karma>
Ten minutes after Takaoka was taken away, the knights that were gathered around all headed back inside the palace under Karasuma's order. Before he had gone back inside with them, his expression consisted of relief and a murderous intent. The fire in his eyes, and Nagisa and I both knew we were going to get scolded.

Nagisa was over on the side, talking to that Kaede girl. I guess a guy like me can get jealous every now and then. I casually made my way over and listened in.

"W-why didn't you tell me sooner?" Kaede sighed loudly and seemed a bit annoyed. "I-I was very rude upon our first meeting! I apologize!" She sank her head. Nagisa looked over at me and patted Kaede's head and she looked up, with sobs in her eyes.

"Please don't send me to the dungeon..." She pleaded, sinking lower and lower. Losing faith in the situation.

"Keep putting your hands on him and we might have to consider it." I eyed her harshly.

"No we won't." Nagisa pulled on my ear and I flinched. "It's my fault, I had to keep it a secret, I'm sorry." Nagisa replied.

"N-no, no. Don't apologize. I should know my place." Kaede spoke. Then she froze automatically and stared at her hands.

"What is it?" Nagisa asked.

"I touched the Queen!" She gasped and raised it in the air as if gold and angels were blessing them.

"Eh?" Nagisa didn't seem amused, but rather embarrassed. He tried to stop her.

"Please stop that." Nagisa took his hands and brought her hands back down to her side, while she continued to glow.

Then I got curious.
I took my left hand and placed it on her shoulder while she was already distracted and apparently time itself had froze. She saw what I was doing and then gleamed blissfully like I've never seen before.

"Kaede?" Nagisa waves his hand in front of her face and then she fainted. What just happened?

"Now what?" I frowned.

"Tch Karma, that was a little too much wasn't it?" Nagisa took her arm and lifted her up. At least for me, I dwindle the spark of my competition.

I motioned my hand for a palace guard and two jogged over.

"Escort her back inside." I ordered and they stood firm to answer. But it felt different. It was like they didn't entirely fear me, somewhat playful.

"Yes, my King!" They responded with brilliance.

Both Nagisa and I just stood their without word until, he himself stretched out his arm and yawned.

"We should head back as well. I think Karasuma and later on, Lady Irina will lecture us about our actions." Nagisa began to advance forward upon the stone path, leading towards the palace.

I grabbed his hand once again, kind of weary because I feel like it's the only way I get his attention. Maybe I should wrap my arms around him? However, I really want to know if that was actually the spur of the moment, or he has really accepted his role in this life.

"You're making quite an interesting expression." Nagisa spoke first and giggled softly. I let go of his hand but when I did release my grip, he hung on and grabbed it.

"You don't believe me." His words struck me hard and I felt terrible for even considering that he would lie to me. Why am I doubting him?

"It's almost too good to be true. You've tried to run away from all this for a long time, since you were young." I explained, "I'm graciously happy that you will be by my side until death do us part."

Nagisa blushed the warm hues like the rising sun. He hid his expression and I chuckled from his reaction.

"We aren't even married yet." He pouted. "And besides, when we were young we made a commitment that we wouldn't let ourselves fall into the depths of love and affection."

"I know that and I regret ever agreeing." I inched close, "But once we turn 18, ours lives will be ever intertwined. Can you blame me for pulling the red strings closer?" I embraced him slowly and it took him some time to wrap his arms around me.

Nagisa hesitantly acted and sighed.

"You're too excited." Nagisa laid his head on my chest and spoke more quietly, "But all I feel right now is fear. I'm discourage by what I'm actually signing up for."

I swayed side to side with Nagisa in my arms and spoke back, "I'll be here every step of the way. I'm confident to say that with the guidance of the Original King and Queen, well make it out just fine." I assured him.

"Yeah, I'll remember that." Nagisa replied.

I kissed Nagisa's forehead and he adorably dug his face closer to me, hiding himself. I patted his back and let it all seep through my skins and bones. We will have troubles, we will face obstacles that will stand in our way. But I am confident about our future together.

In that moment, King Roka has appeared again, and was off in the distance with his back facing us. Along side her was the Original Queen who also was present. I looked down and noticed that Nagisa could also see them together.
Nagisa became less tense and his touch became lighter. I pulled myself away from Nagisa and bent down on one knee and kept my head high. Nagisa confusingly watched over me.

I lifted my arm and offered my hand to Nagisa.
"King Roka's soul resides within me, I am him and he is me and I will relish it until I take my last breath. Will you do the same?"

Nagisa reached for my hand and also got lower, sitting on his heels he took both his hands and coiled them around mine.

"I won't belittle the strength and life that I share with Queen Yua. I will take it as my own as other generations have done before, and I will lead with pride to execute what must be done for the betterment of the kingdom. I will do the same, I will follow you. Even if it means sacrificing my freedom."

I could feel that the winds have turned and all around us the world kept spinning. These promises that we will carry to the grave. Nagisa, you and I, our lives rest within each other's hands. If you fall, I'll fall with you.

That is the everlasting curse of this kingdom.