49 | The Hope That Lies to Us

<Irina>
Eventually, Mother was able to wake up. But I don't think I've ever been so afraid for her. When she came to, the doctor said that she can no longer see. She is blind now.
How did things become like this? Where did those better days go? When we were all healthy and waiting for the new crowns to grow up?

Instead, it seems like a nightmare had cascaded across our kingdom. No more light. Just sudden darkness.

"Father, shouldn't you think this over? You're sending the Reincarnated Child to his grave. Think about the ripples you'll create!" I tried to get ahold of my father who initially kept ignoring me.

No matter what I said, he would ask if I was ever worried about mother in the first place, and if I sympathized with murderers.
But if I were to actually voice it, I would say that Nagisa is not a killer when mother is still fighting. In fact, he never did it in the first place!

"Father!" I exclaimed.

"Hush child! Don't you see that this is all I can do now? The attacks on the kingdom, your mother being poisoned it's a sign! The beings above us are telling us that a tempest is approaching!"

He sounded very delusion at this point and I knew that whatever I said that contradicted his ideas, would lead to no where.

"Do you really believe that Nagisa, the one you had dined with so causally, who conceives the spirit of the original Queen, could actually and whole heartedly try to end Mother's life?" I questioned.

Father slammed his hand on the wall and glared at me. He came towards me and slapped me across the face. I knew from there that nothing will work anymore. Father loves mother with all his heart and for anyone who questions what he's doing for her sake, is just a waste of space to him.

But a glint of regret and guilt was visible in his eyes, though he wouldn't dare to make eye contact anymore.

"We possess the souls of the Original Monarchs. They speak to us, guide, and teach us. But our mind and bodies are still our own. They can't manifest physically to control us." Father's voice mellowed out as his temper depleted into gradual depression.

"I could easily kill a man, even if the Original King didn't want me to because I control what I do. As for Nagisa, he can easily kill your mother if he wanted to. He can gain the wealth and immediate power, influenced by greed and selfishness."

Father stared out the bay windows and placed his hand on the glass.

"Everyone has evil within them. Everyone is capable of harming another. Remember the story? Of how the Original Monarchs came into power? It's all but the same."
••••••••
<Kaede>
I ended up leaving the palace without notice. Maybe I should I said something, but after the meeting, everyone seemed too nervous to say anything to me. I guess I was right, they do see me as a tool, nothing more, nothing less. But in reality, I don't find that the problem. To be able serve such people, I'm truly honored by it all.

From the stables, I rode a horse into the town of Iris. Like always, the streets were bustling with merchants and customers for new products. However, you could feel the tensity in the air.

There were people you knew supported Nagisa's innocence and there was those who didn't. It was quite obvious by their actions and simple expressions. I would know because I've lived here for so long. Many happy faces, have turned into aggressively dark ones.

"Akari? Is that you?"
On my horse, I heard someone call my name. It was familiar, warm voice that I haven't heard in such a long time. I turned us around and saw my older sister Aguri. She was frail as ever with that blissful glow. Her short black hair that had grown somewhat longer since the last time I saw her.

"Down girl." I ordered the horse and she lowered down a little for me to get down. I caressed the horse while I stood before her.

"It's been awhile Aguri." I spoke.

"You don't need to be so firm with me." She giggled, "where are you going? Shall I accompany you? We haven't spoken in awhile, aside from these letters you rarely send anymore."

I felt like I was caught in her web of guilt. It's true that I don't keep in touch with her, especially when both our parents are gone.

"Sorry that I haven't been talkative lately." I apologized, "many things have come up. It's hard to talk about things other than the crisis." I explained.

"It's far alright. But what about your arm, did you get injured?"

She stared at my sling that supported my arm. Since the incident, my recovery process had been spectacular lately.

"It's a long story but, yes it's healing as we speak." I assured.

"I'm glad you're healthy then. Don't overdo training okay? You're still young." She pestered.

I found myself laughing along with her jokes. But it felt painful to talk normally like this.

"H-how is your husband treating you?" I was afraid to ask because, when I was younger and my parents were still alive, I had to watch Aguri break down in tears over the marriage arrangements.

"Kotaro? He's well. Sometimes he finds it very difficult to hold his temper in. I just want him to be more open around me." She with a masked expression.

Though I knew she was lying. She's not happy at all with her marriage. Because the last time I asked her the same question, she's said the same thing.

"What about the man, the one you met long before? Have you've given up on him?" I brought up the distant past when we were a little more content with our lives.

There was a kind man once that Aguri was fond of. Even I found him alluring in a sense that he was mysterious. However it didn't matter at the time when I was young, Aguri would sneak out of the house and visit him.
I don't think I've seen her so cheerful and lively since those days.

I've always hoped for my sister to find genuine happiness, love from a pure heart. But with Kotaro, he's a man I will never respect. He's a terrible man, more like an animal, and doesn't respect Aguri at all. Kotaro thinks that the concept of family is useless and a waste of time. How can he really love Aguri with that kind of idea?

"Akari."
The tone of Aguri's voice startled me. She looked at with sorrowful eyes and sighed. "Akari, I am pregnant."

And that was her answer.