46 | Fateless Night

<Mamoru>
My body was floating in the air, high above towards the ceiling looking down. There was me and little Nagisa, dressed up as a little girl who was getting ready to meet her betrothed.

"Mamoru, I'm scared." Nagisa wrapped his arms mine, trembling. "Can you come with me?"

I stared at myself rubbing his cheeks. The dismay on my face and the pity I possessed.

"I'm sorry, but I can't. Mother and Father won't allow it. You must go with Father to the palace. I cannot come along Nagisa." I sadly and slightly pushed him away from me.

When I was young like that, I think I hated the fact that my own brother, a boy, was submitted to such a shameful state. Nagisa having to dress and become a girl was outlandish to my young mind.

"Mamoru..." He started to whimper and that pained me more, from then and now.
I couldn't bring it upon myself to own this too. Even though we were brothers, blood-related, siblings, I think he was more alone than ever.

I wish that I had held his fragile little hands and told him that it was going to be alright. That he had nothing to fear. But he was the reincarnated child of the Original Monarchs. It's not like he has anything to say against it, he's fortunate! The crown is his...what more can he have, especially if he has to sacrifice to marry whomever. Isn't fine?

Or so I thought the idea of his life planned from birth was reasonable. Until death, his life had already been planned, and he didn't have the chance to rule his own fate.
••••
I gradually came upon a sparking light ahead. When I opened my eyes, the first thing I saw was my angel. Her sweet lips, wavy golden hair, long eyelashes, small face. My beautiful Aika.
She caressed my cheek and hung over me with tears of joy and relief.

"Thank god...thank god." She repeated over and over until I could lift up my hand to touch her hair and the her face.

"I'm glad that you're alright." I said.

"Worry about yourself for once..." With a dejecting sob, she wiped her eyes, "I was worried that you wouldn't wake up." She added, almost terrible that she had to think that death was a path.

"I'm sorry, I'm truly sorry." I helped wiped her tears away and smiled, "but I can say for a fact. That you look the most pure when you cry."

Her lips quivered and I motioned my arm for her to get closer. She leaned in and I kissed her gently with all the love within me.

Aika slightly giggled, but was conflicted with the solemness she carried right after.

"What's wrong?" I slowly sat up but, it seemed like she didn't want me to do that at all. In the end, she helped me and fixed my pillow to lean on.

"I-it's Nagisa, it's terrible." She shook her head.

"W-what about Nagisa? What happened to my brother?" I grabbed ahold of her arm.
I accidentally startled her and I immediately released her and drew closer to her.

"Aika, please tell me what happened to Nagisa!"
Something started to gut my stomach over the thought of something awful happening to him.

"He's been detained in the name of the current crown. He's been accused of attempting to murder the current Queen herself." She explained.

"Surely you must be joking!" I couldn't comprehend any of it. Like hell he would do such atrocities!

"When was this announced? How long have I've been asleep?!" I was growing uneasy by the second.

"Two days ago, he was detained two days ago." She hung her head in despair. "I've tried asking for Karma's presence, but they wouldn't even-."

Aika hands were scrunching up her dress as she continued to beat herself up for being useless, but it's not her fault at all that they wouldn't relay anything to her.

I tried to calm down but, it was no use. How could something so flawed, like attempt murder, nonchalantly be blamed on Nagisa?

"Aika I want to thank you. Nagisa would be grateful that you tried protecting his name as well. Rest assured. I'll protect him. Obviously such a small dainty guy like him, my younger brother, couldn't have the single spine within him to do such a thing."

But apparently to everyone else, he's capable of doing it. There's no doubt about it that Karma believes in this fabrication. Because if he didn't, Nagisa wouldn't have been detained.
•••••
<Karma>
How can this be? Everything somehow points to Nagisa indubitably, like it was meant to happen. The evidence we found later on in his chamber room aligned with what that man said. Opened letters being sent to Nagisa were hidden in a chest beside his bed.

The content of those letters were dated to the day when the Kingdom was under some kind of attack. No names were listed, but it was sent directly to Nagisa.

"I can't believe it. I really can't." I said aloud with Karasuma in the same room as I.

The doors were locked and the windows as well. Even the curtains were sealing the outside world. The only light was through the flickering fire at the fireplace.

"You saw his face right?" I asked Karasuma, "it was painful for me to watch him being taken away. He shouted my name and I couldn't lift a finger. So damn annoying!" I hammered my fist onto the table between us. "I'm trash for leaving Nagisa like that!"

Karasuma cleared his throat.

"While things may be idling in turbid waters, there is time to prove Nagisa's innocence." He said.

"What time? You saw the King right? The fire in his eyes, it's all but the same. He sent Nagisa to the dungeon. He doesn't even consider his innocence at all. Not when everything fit so perfectly." I explained despondently.

I couldn't take this at all. The blame has been engraved on him, and even I was ordered not to visit him. To risk conspiring, even when it wasn't true, I wouldn't have the open space of a little opportunity to continue this case. Is my duty as the reincarnation of Roka holding me back?

"The Kingdom really has fallen in distress."

Karasuma stated the obvious and sighed, "there are spies, traitors amongst us. They framed Nagisa and the King believed it, they even caught Irina in their trap. The rest of the kingdom as well.
You can hear them right? No matter how hard you try to ignore the screams and cries of your people, you hear them loud and clear.

I sat back and closed my eyes.
Yes I can hear them.

"Kill the cursed child! Burn the enemy of the kingdom!"

"He must be the Reincarnation of King Kirai! He's plaguing the kingdom! Kill him!"

It all echoed from outside the gates of the palace, and it shrieked in my own ears.