coaxing her into crying (requested)

You knew something wasn't quite right as soon as Jennie walked through the door.

She was down.

Usually, when she sees you waiting for her, this bright smile will tug at her lips. Today, however, she was just frowning and she couldn't seem to stop.

You tried to cheer her up. You told her jokes, bad jokes, hoping she'd laugh or even a hint of that stunning smile of hers would pull at her lips.

But there was nothing. No chuckle. No tiny smile. Nothing but those sad eyes, tense shoulders, and frown.

"Baby? Please talk to me."

She didn't say anything, just hung her head and watched your hand brush along her thigh in circles.

"What happened? Did something upset you? Did someone say something that got under your skin?"

Again, she didn't answer. She just stayed silent.

"I love you. You know that?" You asked, keeping your voice soft and sweet in her ear. "You're the most special, most amazing girl I've ever known. It makes me so sad to see you so down. If there's something, anything, that I can do to make you feel better please tell me."

She didn't say anything, but your sweetness brought tears to her eyes. You were so sweet, so kind and loving, and she felt so insanely lucky to have you.

Because even on her worst days, when it feels like the world is against her, she still has you.

And the weight of the world on her shoulders was making her crumble after her rough day. She was struggling to hold it all inside. When you were being so loving and sweet to her, holding her so close and trying to cheer her up.

"Are you crying?" You asked when you caught a glimpse of her teary eyes. "Oh, Jennie," you mumbled and squeezed her tighter.

As much as it pains you to see her cry and see her so upset, you'd rather her cry it out with you than keep it all inside and breakdown without you around.

"I've got you, Jen. You can cry it out. Lay your head on my shoulder and let it all out. I'm here with you and I promise I won't let go. I've got you, baby."

Soon enough, the tears started to fall. She was so stressed, so exhausted, and under so much pressure. She doesn't usually let it show or get the best of her but tonight was different. She'd had enough. She can only take so much.

"Shh," you comforted as she turned and cling to you before burying her face in your shirt.

Her tears soaked through the black fabric quickly, breaking your heart.

"I'm here. I've got you, sweet girl."

She sniffled before sobbing again.

"I-I'm just worn out. There's so much going on."

"I know." You mumbled and rubbed her back. "I know it's hard. I know you go through so much. I know I won't ever fully understand just how much you truly go through, because I'm not the one walking in your shoes. But I believe in you. I need you to know that and remember that."

"I do." She sniffled.

"You know I know that you're a tough cookie, Jen. But even then, you're gonna break. You can only take so much before you fall apart and I get that. Just remember that every time you fall, I'll catch you."

She smiled through her tears as she lifted her head and dropped her forehead against your chin.

"Do you feel any better?"

"A little, yeah. Guess I just needed a good cry. And..."

"And?"

"Some cuddles with my baby."

You smiled and laid back on the sofa before bringing her down with you. Her head fell to your chest and she closed her eyes to try to calm down and catch her breath.

"I love you so much. I'll always be here for you. I promise."

"Love you," she mumbled and finally felt the weight on her shoulders lift as you held her tight and made her feel safe and secure when she needed it most.