you're scared of the dark

"You've been oddly quiet tonight. Everything alright?" Jennie asked worriedly. Knowing you like the back of her hand, she can easily sense when you're feeling off.

You've been quiet for the last little while, and you haven't even touched the food on your plate that she made special just for you. She wanted to make tonight memorable since it's the first time you're staying over. Even though it made her heart ache to think about, she wondered if you'd changed your mind and just didn't know how to approach telling her.

Reaching across the table to hold your hand, she was just about to give your hand a squeeze and try to coax you into talking to her about it when the thunder crashed outside. You lifted your head at the sudden sound and Jennie just chuckled and dropped her fork on the plate. "Happy you're staying here with me tonight. I know you'll be safe here."

Your eyes locked for a moment but you looked away again. She watched your teeth sink into your lip. The question kept running through her brain and she couldn't seem to keep it to yourself any longer.

"Y/N? What's going on?"

"Nothing's wrong."

Jennie wasn't buying it.

"Do you remember the promise we made to each other? We'll always be honest with each other. Be honest with me now." She whispered softly and laid her hand over yours again. "If you changed your mind, you don't have to stay. I can take you home. I don't want you to feel obligated to stay, even though I really want you to."

"I wanna stay."

She could see it in your eyes that you were telling the truth, but she could still see that something was bothering you. She was about to plea with you to tell her what it was when you confessed it yourself.

"I'm scared."

Jennie frowned and got out of her chair. She knelt on the floor in front of you and took your hands into hers. "Why are you scared?"

"I'm scared that you might turn the lights off tonight when we go to sleep." You lowered your head after admitting your fear but Jennie was quick to hook her fingers under your chin and tilt it back up.

Her worried eyes gazed into your own as your words sank in. "You're scared of the dark...?" She waited a moment for you to nod your head before she was speaking again. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I was afraid to. Most people don't understand."

She let go of your hand to let it rest on your knee. She gave it a reassuring squeeze before sending you that beautiful smile of hers. "I'm not most people. I'm your girlfriend. Don't be afraid to tell me these things, honey." She encouraged. "If you're scared of the dark, then I won't turn the lights off. In fact, I have an idea."

She stood up and went into the other room. Returning a moment later with her hoodie in her hand she came back over to you and knelt in front of you. "We'll watch some really cozy movies together," she paused as she pulled the hoodie over your head. "And you can use my hoodie to fall asleep tonight."

She started to brush your hair back for you since it had gotten a little messy due to her pulling the hoodie over your head. "There. Cute and cozy." She giggled.

And there it was. Right after that, your lips were tugging into a smile and your eyes were sparkling. "Thank you!"

You leaned down and put your arms around her.

"Always, baby. Anything for my girl." She promised. "Think you'll feel a little more comfortable tonight now?"

"Yeah. Wearing your clothes always makes me feel more secure." You beamed. "Besides, you're gonna be there to hold me and the room won't be dark because we're gonna watch cozy movies!"

Jennie breathed out a sigh of relief and eyed your dinner on your plate. "You better eat up so we can go up to bed and watch those cozy movies, cutie."

And just like that, your fork was in your hands.

The sight made her heart swell with joy and she was about to stand and go back to her chair when you grabbed her wrist and stopped her to kiss her cheek.

She let your lips linger on her skin. Closing her eyes, she basked in the love and happiness you always bring her. She truly adored you. Words wouldn't ever be enough to tell you just how much.

"Love you."

"I love you more, Y/N. I'm so excited to spend this entire night with you by my side."