you think she forgot your birthday (requested)

"Y/n?" Jennie whispered softly as she caressed your shoulder, trying to wake you from your peaceful slumber. "Baby, wake up."

You opened your eyes and, for a second, you had a hint of a smile tugging at your lips at the sound of her voice.

But it quickly faded when you remembered everything and you quickly pushed her hand away and moved across the bed.

The sun was still shining. The time on the clock read that it was only after twelve o'clock in the afternoon. She was home earlier than you expected, but that didn't change the ache in your heart that you've felt from the moment your eyes opened and you only saw a note where she lays.

The bed dipped as she crawled in beside you. Her hand fell to your back but you moved and it fell onto the mattress instead.

"Y/n,"

"Don't!" You whispered harshly.

Your arms were folded over your chest and your gaze rested on the wall. You racked your brain with questions you wanted to ask her but another part of you felt so hurt that you didn't want to say a thing to her.

"Y/n, please don't be mad at me. Something came up and I couldn't get out of it but,"

"But?" You asked angrily, turning your head to finally look at her... but with the saddest eyes she'd ever seen. "Do you even know what today is? What you promised me?"

She looked down at her hand that was moving slowly across the sheets to rest over yours.

"Jennie, I'm always understanding about you having things to do but this was supposed to be my day with you! And, what? You just leave me a note? You didn't even wake me up to tell me that you were leaving! You just... left."

She let out a sad sigh, trying to find the proper time to interject.

"Do you even know what today is?" You scoffed, looking at her with teary eyes.

"What?" She asked in disbelief before chuckling sadly to herself. Her teeth sank into her lip and she took in a shaky breath. "Baby... I know you're unhappy with me right now but I need you to trust me. I have something to show you. Just get dressed and I'll take you there."

"I'm not going anywhere with you." You said. "You can't even answer my question!"

She placed her hand over yours and intertwined your fingers. It took her a moment to convince you to keep them laced together but after a few comforting squeezes, you stopped trying to pull away.

"Y/n..." She whispered, squeezing your hand again. "We've been together for over a year now. Tell me the last time I forgot something important to you."

You racked your brain, but there were no instances of her ever forgetting anything important to you. Until today... or, so you thought.

The silence in the air was just uncomfortable. It was too much for her to bear; the thought that she had made you so sad by thinking she'd started to forget something special now.

"Happy birthday."

Your head turned at her softly-whispered words. your teary eyes locked with her sad ones.

"You're acting surprised. That's what I was going for when it comes to something else... not when it comes to me saying happy birthday to you." She chuckled sadly, trying to clear the air by cracking a joke. "Shoot." She whispered sadly as the gravity of it all hit her. "I didn't forget your birthday. How could you ever think I would?"

"But,"

"I left you that note because I knew if I woke you and I just left without saying anything and just kissed you goodbye I'd be met with those same sad eyes that I see right now and..."

She paused, looking down at your intertwined hand before shaking her head. "That thing that came up? It wasn't anything to do with the studio. I was busy with the girls setting up the few final touches of your party."

Your eyes went wide and you gasped softly.

"I wanted it to be a surprise but I just can't handle the thought of making you so sad or having you thinking, for even a single moment longer, that I'd forgotten something so precious and so important to me. I never wanted to make you so sad, my love. I just wanted to surprise you. Because I've never gotten to do this before and you deserve it."

She saw the stars in your eyes again and it made her feel slightly relieved.

You wordlessly crawled into her arms and let your cheek fall onto her shoulder. She put her arms around you and closed her eyes as all of her worries faded away.

"You're amazing." You whispered. "I don't deserve you."

"Don't say that." She said and moved so you would lift your head and look at her. "You deserve the world, baby. You're my girl and I only want you to be happy."

"I should've known. I guess I was just sad when I woke up to find the bed empty and a note in your place."

"I'm sorry."

You shook your head and kissed her cheek softly. "Don't be. This is actually really amazing!"

"Yeah? Well, fix that smile, baby girl." She booped your nose playfully. "I was supposed to keep this a surprise so I need you to try to act surprised for me."

"I can do that!" You spoke excitedly, causing her to laugh happily.

"Good. Now go get ready! We can't have you being late for your own party, silly girl!"

You went to rush off the bed but stopped when you reached the edge and paused for a moment before turning around and pulling her in for a kiss.

"Thank you." You smiled against her lips. "I love you."

"Love you so much more, y/n. Happy birthday, beautiful. May this be the most wonderful, most spectacular, most marvelous year yet for you. You deserve it."

She kissed you once more and as much as she wanted to melt into your sweet kisses, she knew she had to pull away because you didn't have much longer.

"Go get ready!"

You grinned at her and jumped out of bed, ready for the incredible day ahead.