there's no me without you (requested)

You walked through the door with a heavy sigh. It'd been a long and tiring day and you wanted nothing more than to crawl into the comfort of your bed.

You noticed the lights were all off and the house was oddly quiet. One glance at the clock that read it was after eight made it all click. It was quiet because your little boy was probably tucked in bed, sound asleep. But you didn't know where Jennie was.

Usually, she waits for you to come. But then again, you're usually home a lot earlier than this. You had to work late tonight, pulling extra hours because your boss needed you to and he never really gives you the choice when things like this come up.

You didn't think much of it. You thought she was upstairs, either in bed watching tv or maybe laying down with your little boy, maybe reading him a story or singing a song to him as he sleeps.

You planned to go upstairs but decided to grab some water first. You walked into the kitchen and jumped when you saw Jennie at the table.

"Oh, Jen!" You gasped, placing your hand over your now-pounding heart. "You scared me."

She was staring straight at you, a look of disbelief and anger in her eyes. You were confused at first until you looked around and found that she'd gone out of her way to do something special. Candles were lit across the room, there were two plates of food on the table, while your son's plate was in the middle but empty.

"Jennie-"

"Don't." She grumbled. "I went through all of this to make today special for the three of us and you didn't even bother to call me!"

"I'm sorry! I had to work late. You know how my boss is. I couldn't call you, even though I wanted to. I couldn't sneak away long enough!"

She scoffed and threw the napkin that was once on her lap onto the table.

"I bet you don't even remember what today is, do you?"

You tried to remember as she stared at you. But you couldn't seem to put your finger on what it was exactly that made today special.

"It's our wedding anniversary. Our fifth wedding anniversary, y/n. I was so excited to spend it with you and so was James. He was crushed when you didn't make it."

"Jen, I'm-"

"And so was I!" She spoke in sadness. "It's our special day. We're both so busy with work or taking care of James that we don't get time like this. It was so important to me and I thought it was to you too!" She yelled.

"It is! What do you want me to do, Jen? I do my best every day! And it's not like I'm always working overtime! I'm almost always here with you and James in time for dinner!"

She folded her arms over her chest and tried to mask her worry and sadness with a look of anger. Yes, she was upset with you. But she was undeniably worried.

You're right. You don't work overtime every day. But you have been lately. It's not every single day but it happens more than it used to over the last few weeks and she fears it's gonna keep happening.

You're an adult. You make your own choices. Your boss is a bit of a jerk sometimes. But she's more worried about your health. You have a heart condition and though too much stress is never good for anyone, it's really bad for you.

She wasn't sure how to approach the subject. But she tried to think of how she could because it's a discussion that needs to take place.

"You're not even gonna talk to me now?" You asked, the hurt evident in your voice.

She'd gotten so caught up in her thoughts that she blanked out for a moment. She sighed heavily, wanting to tell you that she was sorry for yelling and getting angry with you.