prologue

"oh Beth, what can I do?"

song: Beth by KISS

. . . . .

Undisclosed Location - SHIELD BASE - December 18, 1995

Freezing rain fell hard, causing Tony Stark to grumble as he ran inside the building. The CEO mogul was trying to remain as inconspicuous as possible so as not to draw any attention to himself nor the situation at hand. It wasn't every day that the billionaire was summoned to a SHIELD base by one of his oldest friends.

Once inside, the man shivered and took stock of the building before him. It wasn't near like his offices, which were clean and sleak (minus his garage of course). No - this building was old and run down looking. It was perfect for anyone who wanted to remain under the radar. And that was exactly what SHIELD was looking for.

"Which was to Agent Carter's office," Tony asked the security guard stationed at the front desk. The rather large man began taking his time scanning him, making Tony more irritable than he was when it was simply the falling ice messing up his hair. When he finally finished ensuring that Tony was clean, he pointed down the hallway and said "down there and to the left. Can I have your auto-"

Tony was gone before he could hear the rest of what the man had to say. Of course he couldn't have Tony's autograph - he was here on important business. And this man had made him late. Tony, all of his shortcomings aside, didn't like being late when it came to his family friend.

As he walked down the hall of the building, Tony couldn't help but stare at the pictures that included his father. His mind began filling up with thoughts about his late father and mother - about what they would think about his actions. He certainly was doing the last thing anyone expected of him. But then again, when did Tony Stark ever do what was expected?

The dark haired man was torn from his wandering thoughts when the sound of a baby crying, followed by a hushed whisper, broke the silence of the hallway. Tony walked the last few steps to the end of the hallway - stopping in front of the door which read "Peggy Carter, Director."

He opened the door, being instantly met with a hug from an old friend of his father's. Tony reciprocated and smiled sadly as he remembered the last time he had received a hug from Peggy Carter. It was on the day of his parent's funeral - the day that Peggy promised to help watch after him, though he swore he wouldn't need it.

"You look just like Howard did at your age," the elderly woman said with tears pricking her eyes. "How is that even possible?"

"Strong genetics and the insatiable need to impress the ladies," shrugged Tony - his voice dripping with a charm that could come only from a Stark. Peggy chuckled and let the man go, though not before wiping away the stray tears that littered beneath her eyes. She was exhausted and grieving, feeling completely drained both physically and emotionally. But caring for a newborn baby at her age was a feat not many could do without some form of exhaustion.