seventythree

"I didn't know there was a hole, something missing in my soul

"I didn't know there was a hole, something missing in my soul."

Song: What I Never Knew I Always Wanted by Carrie Underwood

. . . . .

Two months had passed since Maria and Bucky bought their home, and nobody was the wiser. Everyone except Steve was still in the dark about their plans to move and start a normal life. It had been particularly difficult considering that Maria had been spending more time with Wanda lately.

The two had reconciled their differences - which was basically Maria finally accepting the girl's apology and forgiving her. She didn't tell Wanda this, but part of the reason she was choosing to hang out and train so much was that she knew she would be moving out as soon as the house was paid off. Despite how invasive the Sokovian could be, Maria truly did view Wanda as one of her best friends, and would miss her company. It wasn't like they would never see one another again, given that Maria would only be living 20 or so miles away. But there was a difference in a 30 minute drive and a two minute ride down the elevator.

"Maria, can you grab the paprika from the cabinet, please," Wanda asked the girl. Maria nodded, moving towards the spice cabinet. Wanda insisted on making a Sokovian soup that she loved since the older girl was feeling a bit under the weather.

"Paprika... Paprika... Paprika," she muttered to herself, scanning the jars until she found the one that she was looking for. "Ah! There it is."

"Thank you," smiled the girl. "Now, back to what you were saying. You've been feeling sick for how long?"

"I don't know... maybe a month or so?"

"Any other symptoms?"

"Not really. I thought it was withdrawals from... ya know. But it's not that. I have terrible headaches, and I pee a lot. But other than that, nothing out of the ordinary."

"Hmm. Here, try this," Wanda replied, handing Maria a spoon with soup on it. Maria tasted the food and audibly groaned at how good it tasted.

"Fuck, Maximoff. This shit is delicious."

"My mom taught me and my brother how to make it. So, do you think it might be the flu? Or a UTI?"

"I've had the flu before. This isn't it."

"Have you gone and had Cho check you out?"

"No... I didn't think it wa-"

Maria stopped speaking as she felt the contents of her stomach coming back up to the surface. She ran as fast as she could to the bathroom. The girl barely made it in time - kneeling in front of the toilet and puking her guts up. Maria felt Wanda's delicate hands grab her hair, rubbing her back soothingly.