fortyfive

"I gave him poison just for fun

"I gave him poison just for fun. I had one friend, now there's none."

Song: Bad by Royal Deluxe

. . . . .

Maria had been officially in the custody of HYDRA for what she believed was 3 months, give or take a few weeks. She wasn't a hundred percent sure given that her sense of time had been distorted. But she kept an eye out for how frequently Grant was having to shave his beard. Maria hadn't seen daylight since becoming a captive, and it was obvious that Grant was doing everything he could to keep her from being able to have contact with the outside world. Even when moving her from one location to another, she hadn't even been allowed to see sunlight.

After being forced to send out the video to her friends and family, everything got exponentially worse. The beatings became more frequent. The injections of hallucinogens did as well. The girl was in immense pain physically, as well as mentally. Maria's mentality had gone down the drain - getting to the point of begging to die. But no one was giving her that satisfaction.

When she woke up after having an hour of alone time, Maria could hear voices on the other side of the door leading to her room. She tried to listen, but was only able to make out small phrases. One voice belonged to Grant, but the other was one she did not recognize.

"... How long will it take?"

"... Not sure... lots of parts...."

"I said.... Take?"

".... not a mecha... engineer..."

".... have one...."

The door swung open, revealing Grant and a blonde kid. He couldn't have been over 21, and he had the face of someone who was terrified but was trying not to act like it. His features reminded her of herself in a way that was almost scary.

"So, Maria. How are we feeling today," Grant asked as he sat down in front of her.

"Just fucking peachy," the girl spat.

"Even on the brink of death you can still conjure up enough energy for sass."

"I'd like to think it's my best asset," she replied, coughing up more blood.

"Well, I have some good news for you. No more beatings or medical days, assuming you do as you're told."

"Nice try, Grant," Maria said as she rolled her eyes - not falling for his tricks anymore. "But if you're not here to kill me then go on about your day. I'm not in the mood for games."

"This is no game."

"So what's the fucking catch? There is always a catch with you."

Grant looked over his shoulder, motioning for the boy to come over. The closer he got, the more she could see the resemblance between the two of them. It was their eyes - bright green with speckles of silver in them. He reminded the girl of someone who was dead... someone who Maria was apparently related to. Her suspicions were confirmed as Grant introduced the two.