onehundredandthirtytwo

"Drop his name, push it in and twist the knife again

"Drop his name, push it in and twist the knife again. Watch my face as I pretend to feel no pain."

Song: Heartbreak Warfare by John Mayer

. . . . .

"It's been 23 days since Thanos came to Earth," Rhodey announced as pictures of their dusted teammates flashed across a holographic screen. Maria was seated beside her father, who was in a wheelchair with an IV hooked up to him. Her head rested upon his shoulder whilst the two of them watched the pictures shuffled through.

So many members had been lost - so many fighters. Tony and Nebula were the only to survive from Titan. That added a handful more of people who were snapped away by Thanos's gauntlet.

"World governments are in pieces," Natasha told them. "Um... the parts that are still working are trying to take a census. It looks like he did exactly what he said he was going to do. Thanos wiped out fifty percent of all living creatures."

"Where is he now," Tony questioned. "Where?"

"We don't know," replied Steve. "He just opened a portal and walked through."

"And what's wrong with him," Maria's father said as he pointed towards Thor.

"He's pissed," shrugged Rocket. "He thinks he failed, which of course he did. But there's a lot of that going around, ain't there?"

"Honestly, until this exact moment I thought you were a build-a-bear," replied Tony. Maria was confused as to how her father was being so chipper for someone who had just been a part of the biggest loss any of them had ever faced. It was really beginning to worry her.

"Maybe I am," scoffed Rocket.

"We've been hunting Thanos for three weeks now," Steve told Tony as he redirected the conversation. "Deep space scans and satellites, and we got nothing. Tony - you and Maria fought him-"

"Who told you that," Tony questioned angrily, scooting his seat up enough that Maria had to sit up. "Maria? No - he whipped my face with a planet while the Bleaker Street magician gave away the store! That's... that's what happened. There was no fight. He's unbeatable."

"Did he give you any clues," pushed the blonde. "Coordinates? Anything?"

Tony made this sound that he always did when he was nothing short of flabbergasted. This caused the majority of the people in the room to roll their eyes. But Maria knew things were about to fall apart if she didn't do something.

"Dad," she whispered, placing her hand on his. "Please. Now is really not the time."

"You know I saw this coming a few years back, right," he told her - delusion in his eyes. "I had a vision, and I didn't want to believe it. Thought I was dreaming."