twentyfive

"No doubt in my mind where you'll belong

"No doubt in my mind where you'll belong."

Song: Make You Feel My Love by Adele

. . . . .

December 1991

When the Winter Soldier was unfrozen this time, he was in a new place. As he was dragged and placed in his chair, he took notice of the newness.

The room itself was more of a bunker, or missle silo. He noticed Russian markings along the walls, signifying that this was Soviet property. But he didn't remember being transported from Germany to Russia.

The people were different as well. The soldier had become used to seeing doctors and such. But this time, it was different. There was more of a military presence and feel to the space. It made his heart rate quicken, mind running through all of the possibilities of how to get out of the situation.

But of course, there was no escaping.

The chair moved into position, as did he. Screams of pain and terror rung through the bunker as the shocks of electricity coursed through him. Having a metal arm did not necessarily help with the pain.

At least something was familiar to him.

With his body twitching and breathing rapid, the chair reset itself, stopping the shocks of pain. The soldier worked to stay still. Because military men meant rifles, which meant that one wrong move and he was done for.

Another familiarity? The words.

A military man, presumably the soldier's newest handler, rattled off the words with ease. Once again, the switch that kept the darkness at bay inside of the soldier was flipped. He was once again the machine that he had been created to be.

As the handler finished reading the words off, he sat down the red book. It had been passed down to each handler as the weapon changed hands. He looked down at the shell of a man sitting in the chair before him.

"доброе утро солдат."

"готов подчиниться."

"I have a mission for you. Sanction and extract. No witnesses."

The handler gave the soldier a folder. As he went through it, he was filled in on everything he needed to know. It was going to be easy, easier than his first mission for sure. That didn't mean he wanted to be any less prepared. So, as he was being flown out to his destination, he ran through the endless possibilities of outcomes.

When the time arrived though, he was more than prepared.

On the 16th, the soldier sat quietly in the tree line, waiting for his target to arrive. When the tainted Buick passed, he started up his motorcycle. Swift and speedy movements got him beside the vehicle, where we threw a flash bomb inside. As the car crashed into a nearby tree at full speed, the soldier turned around on his bike, returning to the scene.