twentyeight

"It's been too long

"It's been too long. I'm glad to be back"

Song: Back in Black by ACDC

. . . . .

Hey, squirt. Come by my office when you get up and come in to work. Love you.

That was the text message awaiting Maria when she woke up the next morning. If there was one thing she had inherited from her father - other than his sense of sarcasm and hero complex - it was his ability to hold a grudge. With that being said, Maria wondered if he was actually going to apologize for his behavior two days prior.

She really didn't want to fight, so she prolonged getting up as much as she could. Maria stayed curled up in bed with her soulmate as long as she possibly could - their naked bodies tangled up underneath a single sheet. Something she had noticed about him was that he liked being closest to the door when they slept. Now, Maria could hold her own in any fight, but Bucky didn't care. He had stated numerous times that being the first line of defense if someone were to come looking for her was his job. So she let him win that fight, never once telling him that his overprotectiveness actually made her feel much safer. Knowing that he would literally jump in front of a bullet to protect her meant more to her than she was certain that he realized.

But their bubble of avoidance had to be broken eventually. When Maria decided that it was time that she got up and went to see her father, Bucky tried his damndest to keep her in bed with him. Lingering kisses, fluttering touches, and the promise that "if you stay here, I can give you something much more valuable than the half hearted apology that Tony will give you" almost had her sold. It took every ounce of will power within her to fight back against her instincts and stay with him.

"Do you really think she is ready," she heard Steve say in her father's office as she arrived just outside his door. Maria hid out of sight, listening in to the conversation.

"You tell me. Banner cleared her months ago physically. The only thing holding her back has been the mental aspect. Did you talk to Barnes?"

The sound of her father mentioning her soulmate had Maria ready to fight. But that feeling was overtaken by the fact that she realized they were talking about her - about clearing her for missions. That concept made her almost want to forgive him without any hesitation because she was so ready to be back in the field.

"I did," Steve admitted. "He said the nightmares are getting few and far between. Dr. Raynor gave a similar report, noting that she had been more open and willing to speak and process what had happened to her. Other team members have noticed a change as well. I really think she is getting back to her old self again."

"Then there you go. I don't see any reason to keep her from participating in missions any longer. Besides," her father said, sighing in pause. "I need a win right now. If this helps me make up with her, then it's worth it."