onehundredandfiftyeight

"Wherever I go, you bring me home

"Wherever I go, you bring me home."

Song: Sweet Creature by Harry Styles

. . . . .

Journal Entry #4

Tonight's dream was about Natasha Romanoff.

No, it wasn't one of those kinds of dreams. Rather, it was about our past. When I saw her during my mission for Pierce, I knew I had recognized her - "The Black Widow." The name had rung some bells, but not enough for me to actually be able to place her. But now... now things are getting clearer.

I trained her, years and years ago while under activation. She was just a young 18 year-old back then. I vaguely remember the details of our interaction, but what I do know is that she caused me to get a lot of beatings because she was one of the few widows who was able to take my mask off.

But that wasn't our only interaction. I also shot her during another mission a few years later. I think she was transporting my target or something. I can't exactly remember. However, I do remember her pulling herself in front of my mission, causing me to shoot her to kill him. But I left her alive. I am pretty sure it is because I had recognized her. That's irrelevant though.

The point is that - I know her. I don't know if she knows that I'm me though. It has been years, and she might have forgotten. I don't want to ask her and bring up ugly memories for her. But it would be nice to get some clarity on these memories.

I like Romanoff a lot. She is very smart and a skilled spy. She likes to pick on Steve, which is fun. And she will speak Russian with me to annoy the others, but to also let my mind slowly wean off all the Russian talk I'm used to. Switching back to English has actually been a rough transition, but being able to converse with her has helped ease it some.

I think her and I have the potential to become fairly close friends. Well, if she ever forgives me for bailing out on the blind date she set me up with.

- - - - -

In seconds the two of them were back at the compound in the present day. The briefcase was still in Maria's hand as their suits disappeared, revealing their clothing. Many of them looked both her and Steve up and down as they were still dressed in their 1970s get up.

"Well, then," Maria heard her father chuckle. "Looks like you and Rogers took a detour, huh?"

"Did we get them all," the girl asked, ignoring his question for the time being and scanning the circle of people.

"Are you telling me this actually worked," grinned Rhodey in awe. Maria identified each stone in the hands of those who were supposed to get them. But as her eyes darted around the froom, she realized someone was missing. At the same time, Clint dropped to his knees - his actions alerting everyone else to the ever present question.