onehundredandtwentythree

"The road is long, we carry on

"The road is long, we carry on."

Song: Born to Die by Lana Del Rey

. . . . .

"What the hell happened to this planet? Eight degrees off its axis. The gravitational pull is all over the place," rambled Quill as he walked around the ruins of the planet Titan. Maria had been able to tell something was off. Her body was slowly adjusting to the gravitational pull, or lack thereof. She spent a few minutes working on manipulating the gravitons around her, trying to get used to the planet.

"Are you okay," he father asked, moving towards her when he realized what she was doing.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she told him. "Just having to get used to the gravity fields."

"So no death?"

"Not yet. Gravity is still present, just being displaced differently."

"Good. That makes me feel better about doing this," he muttered before whacking her upside the head. Maria clutched her scalp and shot a glare at him. She grabbed her father by the arm and pushed him away from the group. "Oh, don't give me that look, Maria! You know exactly what that was for!"

"What? Because I got beamed up on a spaceship against my own will? Which, by the way, I have absolutely no idea how that happened."

"No, squirt, It's because you ran off and away from Bucky after I specifically told both of you to get out of there. You knew that Squidward was trying to get to you. Yet you just couldn't resist, could you?"

"Excuse me?"

"As your father, I am obligated-"

"No, no, no," the girl said, pointing her finger at the man. "You are not pulling the 'dad' card."

"I am most certainly pulling the 'dad' card."

If Maria knew anything about her fights with her father, it was that they tended to get heated and loud. So she took a step closer to him, lowering her voice so that nobody could hopefully hear the two of them bickering.

"Technically you left your soulmate, too."

"That's only because I was saving you, the kid, and the circus magician."

"And what does Pepper think about all of this?"

"That... That is so irrelevant to this conversation," the man babbled. Maria knew she was getting to him, but he was also just as stubborn as she was. "You are not turning this on me! I literally was trying to save my child, so I think she will be understanding of that... in time."

"But you didn't have to! I could have handled it."

Tony just looked at the girl, biting his tongue rather than taking the time to lay out every single reason as to why she would not have been able to handle it. And he would have been right - she had been far out of her league. Between arguing with Bucky and trying to physically fight, she had been unable to truly focus on what was going on around her. Ebony Maw had overpowered her and she would have been at his mercy had Tony not been there. So the girl took a deep breath and let her hands run from her father's cheeks to his shoulders.