anniversary chapter three

TW// sexual assault

TW// sexual assault

"I'm stuck here with the vultures hissing and circling."

Song: All My Friends Are Wasted by Snakehips featuring Tinashe and Chance The Rapper

. . . . .

August 21, 2013

The Boiler Room was far more crowded than Maria had ever seen it. Cadets filled every crevice of the space - the stench of alcohol and pot wafting throughout the room. Music moved Maria's intoxicated body amidst the hoard of sweaty cadets. She threw her head back in laughter as William Jacobson made a point to dance in the most awkward and goofy way possible, leaning her head against Isabella Martinez's shoulder. The first week bash that the Sci-Tech cadets threw was the only time that anyone from operations was allowed down in their most sacred of hangouts, so they were going all out.

"You good, Maria," the Spanish cadet's thick voice flowed in her ear as Maria smiled lazily. She was better than good - the girl felt more alive and carefree than she had in years. There was something about that night... perhaps it was the drinks... or the bud she had smoked... or just the fact that she was back with her very best friends in a place that felt overwhelmingly like home... or a mixture of both. Either way, Maria was on cloud nine as she nodded and turned around, placing her hands on Isabella's shoulders.

"I feel great, Bella," she told the older girl - words slurring together almost inaudibly. "What is this song?! I love it!" "Let's get you some water, bebita," nodded Isabella, to which Maria shook her head. "No hay agua," Maria adamantly replied. "¡Más tiros!"

"William," called out the cadet, halting Will from his horrid dance-off with Jackie. "Stay with her, por favor. I'm going to go and get her some refreshments." "I'll take a bottle of Amaretto," Maria yelled above the music as Isabella pushed towards the bar. Maria turned her attention to Will, who immediately straightened up at the sight of the clearly wasted girl. But she just smiled and reached up to pat her friend on his cheeks. "You're so handsome, Willie," giggled Maria - a hiccup falling from her wide smile. "You're going to make a good soulmate one day, ya know that?"

"That is the nicest thing you've ever said to me," smiled the blonde as a blush crept up on his face. "I'm serious," Maria all but shouted. "It's too bad we aren't soulmates. Think of all the fun we would have." "She's gone bloody mental," Jacklyn Mitchell, who had appeared next to Will, laughed. While the two of them began chatting, Maria realized that Isabella still hadn't shown back up with her drink. And she was beginning to get ancy. So the girl sneaked away through the crowd of party go-ers. She practically fell against the makeshift bar that had been added to accommodate such a large crowd.

"I'll take," slurred Maria as her head began spinning a little. The bartender shook his hand at her, beckoning the girl to hurry seeing as he had numerous cadets begging for his attention. "Um... I..." "She'll have a double whiskey, no ice," a stranger announced, finishing Maria's thought for her. "Make that two," the very handsome man said with a dazzling smile. He nodded at Maria - who was losing any and all hope she had at looking smooth thanks to her apparent intoxicatedness. "Thanks," was all she replied when the bartender passed her the drink the cadet had ordered for her.