onehundredandeighteen*

"I know you need a pick me up

"I know you need a pick me up."

Song: Hollow by Tori Kelly featuring Big Sean

. . . . .

It had been Loki's idea. The only reason Bucky had agreed to go along with it was the fact that he was trying to atone for his sins. Loki had offered to pose as Bucky, as the two of them came to the conclusion that he would be used as bait against Maria. He had to stay as far away as possible from his wife, but watching her struggle within her mind about whether or not to trust the voice in her head was enough to send him over the edge.

The moment that Thor realized what had happened electricity flew out of his body, killing all of the remaining creatures. He charged after the two responsible for his brother's death while Bucky went after Maria. The man swooped his wife into his arms and pulled her in close as she cried.

"Wh- Wh-"

"Ssh, I've got you, darling. You're safe. I've got you," he whispered into her hair - their bodies melting together after being apart for so long. As Bucky held her, he turned to see what was going on around them to make sure they were safe.

"I would suggest leaving while you still can," Steve threatened to the two alien creatures.

"You will pay for this," the female creature told them as the creatures ran back towards their spaceship.

"We are really just going to let them go," a raccoon asked.

"Is no one going to talk about the fact that there is a talking raccoon," questioned Natasha.

"Are you from Earth," a woman with antennas pondered.

"I am Groot," said some tree looking thing.

"Is that a flying shield," wondered a man who actually looked like a human.

"I'm getting too old for this," muttered Steve.

"Bucky," Maria whispered, catching his attention from the strangers around them. The girl was looking over his shoulder at Thor and Loki. Bucky knew exactly what she was wanting, so he let her loose from his hold. Maria ran over to where they were, with Bucky following close behind.

"Brother," a teary-eyed Thor asked. "Why did you do this?"

"I have done so many wrongs in my lifetime," Loki told him as he glanced between both Maria and Bucky. "It was time to do the right thing for once. To do something worth gaining your forgiveness."

"And you have it," nodded Thor. "I forgive you, brother."

Bucky nodded when Loki also looked at him. What he had done was more than enough to gain his forgiveness. He had sacrificed his life so that Maria could live. For that, Bucky would be forever grateful.