onehundredandthirteen

"The house was awake, the shadows and monsters

"The house was awake, the shadows and monsters. The hallways, they echoed and groaned."

Song: Control by Halsey

. . . . .

Maria had once considered Odin to be the worst parental figure she had ever had the displeasure of hearing about. From all accounts via Thor, the god didn't seem like much of a father at all. While he was terrible, he didn't hold a candle to Maria's own mother.

Maria was being pushed into a large room by Hale. She had yet to meet any other members of The Confederacy, which was fine by her. The girl was far more focused on how exactly she was supposed to make it out of her current predicament alive and without causing galactic destruction.

The weirdest part was that she was supposed to have started a new, normal life. That seemed to be out of the question. Even if Maria did happen to make it out of there alive, it appeared that there was a much more threatening force looming over them. Maybe Thor had been right - maybe the things in his realm of the galaxy were far beyond her mere mortal comprehension.

"So," she asked as the two entered a dark room. "Is this Thanos guy at least nice?"

"Depends on what your definition of nice is," a voice replied. Maria's eyes diverted in front of her, finding the source of the cryptic comment. Standing in front of her was a very large, very purple.... thing. She was hesitant to call him a man, because it was very apparent he was not a human. The tall creature towered over Maria as he circled around the two women, looking her up and down specifically. "This is your Destroyer of Worlds?"

"She may not look like much, but she packs a big punch," Hale responded proudly, as though she was the reason why Maria was the way she was. "She has been infused with gravitonium, which allows her to manipulate gravity at its atomic level. Her body has also been subject to a serum that has strengthened her regenerative capabilities, strength, and stamina. She is in peak condition, absolutely brilliant-"

"Oh, do go on and on. I so love when you brag about me Mom," Maria scoffed sarcastically. "Seriously? That was the worst sales pitch ever. You didn't even mention the important things - like how I'm full of witty comebacks and enough pop culture references to educate even the most ancient of beings. Oh, and how I don't like being used as a chess piece for maniacs - such as yourselves."

Maria wasn't sure if it was a smirk that was on Thanos's face or a grimace when the two locked eyes at the end of her statement. The titan knelt down and brought his face right to hers. Maria didn't hesitate to stare directly into his eyes, trying her best to hide the fear she had. She wanted to be brave in the face of such terror, but that was hard when the fate of the world was literally on her to bare.

A few moments of silence passed between the two. Thanos eventually reached forward and ruffled her hair with a chuckle.

"I'll take her."