fortytwo

"Cause you're the devil, devil in disguise

"Cause you're the devil, devil in disguise."

Song: Devil in Disguise by Clodie

. . . . .

When Maria woke up, she prayed it had been one horrible dream. That, as her memories came back to her, she had endured a nightmare. That Bucky hadn't really been turned into the Winter Soldier. That she wasn't in the exact same room she had been over a year ago when she had been forced to kill her team.

But it hadn't been some distorted nightmare.

It was her reality.

The room was cold and dark, making Maria's skin crawl with how evil it felt. She tried to move, but her arms and legs were bound to the metal chair she was occupying. Her arms were wrapped by tight, white rope - hands bound in front of her tightly. She could hear voices on the other side of the door, but her mind was so groggy that she couldn't make out much of what they were saying.

What Maria did know was that HYDRA had them. The organization had figured it out and got to Bucky. Which meant that she needed to find him as soon as possible to get him out from underneath their thumb before something terrible happened.

But something terrible already happened.

Maria tried to calm down as anxiety built up in her. That was her biggest nightmare. She was back there. HYDRA had her again - and this time they had something arguably more valuable to her than her team had ever been. She bit back tears that tried to fall. Maria had to stay strong. If she let her emotions overwhelm her, she would never be able to escape. Plus she needed to find Bucky. From what she felt, he was alive and close by. But that was all the girl could gather. One of them - or both of them - had been drugged to the point that the bond wasn't working in terms of tracking.

Maria was ripped from her thoughts as the door swung open. Her eyes shot up to see two guards walking in. Following them?

"Told you to keep an eye on Barnes," Grant Ward stated - a sadistic smile on his face. Maria rattled against the bonds holding her down at the sight of him.

"What the fuck did you do to him?!"

"Oh, just put him to good use," the man said, walking closer to Maria threateningly. "It was time that both of you returned home."

"Fuck you," spat Maria - literally spitting at the devil himself. "Let me see him, Grant."

"Funny," he replied, wiping her spit off his face with a grimmace. "I don't really see you in a position to be making demands."

"No, but I am willing to bargain."

Grant cocked his head, a smirk appearing on his face. He squatted down next to her and met her eyes.