ninetysix

"You'll never be free, lamb to the slaughter

"You'll never be free, lamb to the slaughter."

Song: Blood // Water by Grandson

. . . . .

Maria laid propped up against the wall of her holding cell, blood seeping slowly out of her shoulder. Pain could be felt in an overwhelming fashion - the girl wishing she had even the tiniest dosage of morphine to help her cope with the pain. But that was never going to be afforded to her when her captors wanted her to suffer as long as humanly possible.

"Sir," one of the idiot agents working for Secretary Ross muttered in fear. "How long are you going to let her bleed out?"

"As long as it takes for that spoiled brat to give up the location of her teammates."

Even with her eyes closed, Maria knew it was him. Secretary Ross had an unmistakable voice that made her want to throttle him. But that was what landed her in her current predicament in the first place. The man wasn't an idiot, and knew exactly what buttons to push to make her want to retaliate. And he did so with glorious fashion.

"But we already have eyes on Wakanda. If they go back there, we will know."

"Rogers and Barnes won't be stupid enough to go back there," Secretary Ross replied to the agent. "Plus, King T'Challa is busy dealing with a little problem I sent his way."

Days prior when she was captured and brought to the Raft - an underwater prison created for the sole purpose of detaining and incarcerating enhanced individuals - Maria had been asked numerous times where her male counterparts were. Even if she did know the exact place that they were headed, she wasn't going to tell Secretary Ross shit. Hence the reason why her stitches were busting and she was sore all over. Secretary Ross didn't like that answer, and didn't feel bad in the slightest about making her feel pain.

"What about her father?"

There it was - the phrase that made the girl actually stir. Maria's actions seemed to catch Secretary Ross's attention, making him chuckle with devilish delight.

"Ah, she awakens," the man said, squatting down in front of the bars of the holding cell. "How are you feeling?"

"Don't act like you fucking care," muttered Maria, coughing up blood along the straight jacket she was bound in. Apparently it was for everyone's safety, but the girl wasn't stupid. Binding her hands meant she couldn't use her powers. Keeping her loopy from the blood loss also meant she couldn't be as productive with her powers. It was as though Secretary Ross knew all about her.

"Silly girl, you have no idea what you're talking about. Your survival means more to me than you think."

"Oh, yeah? Is that why you've been hunting me and my family down? Is that why you turned my best friend against me and sent him off to kill me? Do tell, Thaddeus, how any of that is supposed to keep me alive if my survival means something to you, you son of a fucking bitch- ah!"