fiftytwo

"Don't put the blame on me

"Don't put the blame on me."

Song: Human by Ragnbone

. . . . .

"I'm getting really fucking tired of blacking out all the damn time," muttered Maria as she came back to consciousness. The girl groaned and sat up as she deduced that - once again - she was in the med bay. Her throat was sore and her head was pounding. As she opened her eyes and took in the sight around her, Maria knew she was in deep shit.

Steve was right at the foot of her bed - arms crossed over his chest with that scowl he tended to wear when he was angrily trying to figure out how to proceed. Tony was leaned back against one of the walls, rolling his eyes at her nonsense. But none of them looked as angry as Bucky did. Maria's soulmate was seated in one of the chairs with his hands clasped on his lap. He hadn't even looked up at her but she knew - she could feel how pissed off he was.

Maria - never one to fair well in an awkward situation - decided that humor would be the best way to cope with her current predicament.

"Hey, guys! Why the long faces?"

"How the hell could you be so stupid," Steve questioned. Maria knew he would be the first to break their silent treatment - he always was.

"Well, you're going to have to be a wee bit more specific as to what you are referring to. I have been told numerous times that I do plenty of stupid things."

"You know damn well what I'm referring to."

Don't say it. Don't say it. Don't-

"Ooo, someone has a potty mouth today," Maria replied, not listening to the voice of reason in her head that warned her saying something would be a bad idea. "And here I thought Tony was my dad."

"I swear to god, Maria," Steve practically shouted, throwing his hands onto the footboard of the bed and causing it to shake. "None of us are in the mood. You almost died!"

Maria glanced at her father. He was pinching the bridge of his nose, clearly trying to not blow up on her. She didn't understand what the big deal was. She saved them - all of them. How was she supposed to know she was going to die?

"How much do you guys know-"

"No. You don't get to ask the questions here. You just get to provide answers. Starting with how long you've remembered," the blonde said, clearly letting his anger overtake him.

Don't be a smartass. Don't be a smartass. Don't be a smartass.

"Remembered what?"

Oops.

Tony slammed his fists against the wall before approaching Maria on one side of the bed. She hadn't seen him that angry at her in years - back when she got caught sneaking boys in the house over the holidays. The girl swallowed thickly, trying not to show any fear. It was like her father could smell it on her sometimes.