sixty

"But my dreams, they aren't as empty as my conscience seems to be

"But my dreams, they aren't as empty as my conscience seems to be. I have hours, only lonely. My love is vengeance that's never free."

Song: Behind Blue Eyes by Limp Bizkit

. . . . .

"Hey, Maria. Since you were the one who broke it, mind going and fixing the tractor," Laura asked the girl after lunch the next day. "I need it for this evening."

"I don't care at all," Maria replied as Clint chuckled. The girl shot him a glare before smiling back at Laura. "Mind if I take Mr. laughs-a-lot off your hands? I'm going to need some assistance."

"As much fun as that would be," Laura said after quickly glancing at her husband knowingly. "I know neither of you would get anything done. Plus, I need him to go look at the flooring in the sunroom. Isn't that right, honey?"

"Why yes, yes it is," Clint said with a smirk.

"You two are being weird," muttered Maria, rolling her eyes as she went for the barn. She tied one of Clint's flannels around her waist and pulled her hair up in a bun. Maria was extremely lucky that she had left extra clothes at the farm the last time she visited. But those ran out eventually, so she began burrowing items from both Clint and Laura.

"All, little lady," Maria said in her best country accent as she approached the tractor. "Let's see if we can't get you up and going again."

The girl popped the hood, climbing in to analyze what she could find that needed fixing. She could tell where her father had once been there doing exactly what she was doing - his signature repair style was displayed all over the part.

"So, you're a farm hand now?"

Maria shot up, hitting her head on the hood. She groaned in pain as she fell backwards and landed squarely on her back against the bail of hay she used to get herself up there. The girl clutched her head as she sat up and looked at the person who was laughing at her clumsiness.

"Steve? What the hell? Didn't Momma ever tell you not to scare a woman working on a tractor?!"

"Out of all the wisdom my mother ever imparted to me, I don't think that was ever in the mix. But I'll keep that in mind for next time."

"See that you do," she said, taking Steve's outstretched hand. Maria turned back to the tractor and climbed up on it to continue her work.

"That's all I get? No 'hey, Steve! It's been four months since I've seen you! Wow, has your hair gotten longer? I've missed you! Sorry, my phone has been dead or I would have returned all 62 missed calls from you.'"

"How did you find me," Maria asked with zero emotion in her voice.

"Clint called."

When I get my hands on him he is going to wish he had shot me with that arrow.