thirtyfour

"You put the knife right in my back, killed any history we had

"You put the knife right in my back, killed any history we had. And now it's war."

Song: Traitor by Daughtry

. . . . .

"Thanks to the information that we found when raiding Strucker's compound, we now have concrete evidence that points to where Daniel Whitehall, the leader of HYRDA is located," Steve announced as the quinjet was preparing to fly over the drop point. "You've all read over the files and familiarized yourselves with the details?"

The group nodded. Maria had been pouring over the data over the past few hours. Daniel Whitehall had been in charge of expeditions to recover artifacts during Red Skull's leadership. He was captured by the SSR in 1945 until he was freed by undercover HYDRA agents that had been embedded within SHIELD. Since then he has been using inhuman organs and DNA to continuously de-age himself, allowing him to maintain a middle-aged appearance. He had been working underground and building HYDRA's influence up until now. He was last spotted in a small town in Germany.

"Good," the captain nodded. "The goal is to find and capture him alive. His knowledge is vital to taking down HYDRA. Barton and Romanoff - you two are on aerial support. We are assuming that he is going to have maximum security. Sam and Wanda are taking the east entrance. Maria and I will take the east. How far out are we Clint?"

"3 clicks. Grab those parachutes, ladies."

"He's talking about you," teased Maria as she handed Steve a bag. The blonde rolled his eyes and slipped it over his shoulders, muttering something that made Maria shake her head. Once everyone was ready to jump, the four took to the skies. Maria followed behind Steve and landed with ease. It didn't take the two long at all to disable the hostels that were in their way. The compound was a lab, not a military base, which meant that most of the workers were not necessarily highly trained in combat. Even still, the extra measures were taken by the Avengers in order to ensure that Whitehall didn't escape.

"Maria, do you have eyes on him yet," Steve asked over the coms as the two had gotten split up for a moment.

"Not yet. I'm going forward towards the offices," replied Maria as she came face to face with another agent. She took him down in three moves - immobilizing him by smashing his head into the cold concrete. The girl continued going further and further until she found the room they were looking for. All communications and intel had pointed out that Whitehall was using the bunker of the lab as his office. "I found him. I'm going in."

"No," ordered Steve. "Hold your position. I'm almost to you."

"If we wait any longer he'll be able to escape!"

"Maria, I'm ordering you to stay where you are."

"Fuck that," the girl whispered to herself before kicking the door in. She held her gun up and entered the eerily quiet room. Maria stalked around slowly, ensuring that each corner was clear before continuing on. Once she made it to the very last room, a voice spoke up from the shadows.