twentyfour

"What would you look like when you looked at me for the very first time?"

Song: Gone Too Soon by Daughtry

. . . . .

December 16, 2018

"Earth to Maria."

A hand was waved in front of her face, pulling Maria back into reality. She hadn't realized she had spaced out during the middle of a briefing until all eyes were on her. The stares of her teammates made her feel uncomfortable for the first time ever.

Today just wasn't a good day.

It had been 26 years since Maria's grandparents had died. Despite having never met them, she still felt pain and sorrow on this day. Every single year, it was like the girl was numb for 24 hours as she mourned the fact that she would never get to meet them, or have any interaction with them.

Maria had been told countless stories about Howard and Marie Stark. She had also read everything she could get her hands on that involved the two of them. Being in S.H.I.E.L.D. meant that she had access to Howard's work with both it and its predecessor, the SSR. Maria had been taught piano at a young age because her grandmother had played. Hell, she was named after her.

It just hurt.

"Maria."

Maria had zoned out once again. But when she came back to reality this time, it was just her and Will. Him and Streat were the only two that truly knew what this day was like for Maria. Will had seen her through numerous December 16ths, dating back to 2008. She shared an apartment with Streat, as well as a bunk on the plane. So he had witnessed his fair share of December 16ths.

Will moved over to the girl, pushing your hair back behind her ear and wrapping his arms around her. Maria followed suit, burying her head in his chest and trying to bite back her sobs.

The two of them stood like that for a while. Will would run his hand up and down her back, occasionally letting his fingers brush out her hair. Maria held on tightly to his shirt as silent sobs fell from her lips. For some reason, this anniversary hit harder than any of the others.

Eventually, she stopped crying. Will took notice, pulling away from the girl so that he could look at her face. But she turned away from his gaze.

"What? Am I that ugly?"

"No," Maria said softly, voice thick from all the crying. "But if I look at you, I'll laugh."

Next thing she knew, Will was craning his neck and body down, trying to force her to look at him. Maria maneuvered every which way she could until they were both laughing. Maria swallowed thickly and bit her lip as she looked up at him.