eightyone

"I've been sleeping a thousand years it seems

"I've been sleeping a thousand years it seems. I've got to open my eyes to everything."

Song: Bring Me to Life by Evanescence

. . . . .

January 3, 1933

"Excuse me?"

"I'm not going to school."

"The hell you're not James Buchanan Barnes."

Bucky was standing in the middle of the living area, face to face with his mother. He was adamant that he wasn't going to school. And frankly, he didn't care what his mother thought. But he was respectful and was going to at least give her the heads up, specifically because Rebecca would be left alone on her walk to and from school.

"Mom. I love you and all, but I'm 16. You can't tell me what I can and can't do anymore. I'm practically a man!"

"If you live under my roof, you live under my rules James. And 16 is not the age of a man! What is so important that you think you need to miss school?"

Bucky sighed and looked to the ground, trying to keep his emotions at bay.

"Steve's sick," he whispered quietly, and if Winnifred wouldn't have turned the radio off when her son told her his plans, she would never have heard him. But she did, and her features instantly softened.

"What is it?"

"Pneumonia," Bucky said again, his eyes not leaving the floor. He always got like this - a bit more defiant, a bit more emotional - when Steve got sick. Bucky would never say it out loud, but it terrified him. He tried so hard to keep Steve protected from the mess he would get himself into. But sickness wasn't something Bucky could control.

Bucky felt a hand on his shoulder, and he was instantly pulled into a hug. Instinct told him to push back - because he was a "man." But in reality, he craved the contact from his mother. He was more of an emotional guy than anyone ever got to see.

"Son, I know you care for Steve."

"He's my best friend, Mom. I'm all he has," Bucky said into her neck. She nodded and rubbed her hand down his back. After a few moments, she pulled away from him and silently wiped away his tears.

"This can't become a habit. And I expect you to get the work that you miss and make it up on time."

Bucky nodded and kissed his mother on the cheek.

"Thank you."

"Tell Sarah that I will come by tomorrow and help her with the house and bring her some groceries."