seventyfive

"Fool me once, fool me twice

"Fool me once, fool me twice."

Song: No Time to Die by Billie Eilish

. . . . .

The next few days were somewhat of a blur. A small funeral was held for Sam - his body being buried behind the compound in a grave sight that also held headstones for the members of EBD6. Maria had cried more than she had in a long time, and so had Bucky. Nobody in the compound was able to escape from the emotions surrounding their fallen teammate. It had been years since they had lost anyone - Pietro being the only true loss they had experienced.

Things were quiet until Tony called a meeting in the war room. Everyone showed up - calm and ready for revenge. But Maria was still stuck in a mental state that was completely unhealthy. The girl had been so close to using again. The only thing keeping her from doing so was the child she was carrying. Otherwise she would have been so doped up that she wouldn't have been conscious.

"Bruce and I figured out how they got in," is what the girl's father began with the moment everyone was seated. "They used a remote detonating EMP to knock out of power grid and cripple our defenses."

"But," Bruce stated as he plastered a map up on the screen on the opposite end of the room. "They forgot to grab it when they left. So we back faced the I.P. address."

"And now we have a location," Tony finished, clicking on the map. Maria and Bucky turned to one another instantly - the two of them becoming far too familiar with the place that HYDRA was based out of. That was good news, considering.

"Siberia," Bucky muttered.

"With that in mind," Tony said, crossing his arms over his chest. "We are going to plan a full scale attack on their bases. Grant Ward made this personal for me when he came after my daughter. But now it is personal for everyone. So we are going to make it personal for them, too."

There wasn't a single person who disagreed with what the man stated. It wasn't just about the pain Grant had personally caused Maria and Bucky anymore. Everyone felt like they had been personally attacked.

"We need to-"

"Incoming," muttered Bruce as the screen changed. All eyes were glued to the screen when Secretary Ross appeared before them. Maria straightened up in her seat, knowing that he was going to cause them trouble.

"I heard about the attack," the man stated. "We have received all of your reports on the events that took place. And I am here to tell you now - nobody is to retaliate."

Not a single soul liked hearing that. There were slews of protests flying through the air, but the Secretary waved them off.

"I know, I know. But the United Nations has decided that an attack will most likely cause a world war, and we are not prepared to handle that at this time."