onehundredandone

"Beg for the rest of my life? What would you do?"

Song: The Kill by Thirty Seconds to Mars

. . . . .

September 14, 2019

The mission was simple. It was clear cut and the soldier knew that extraction would be easy for him to accomplish.

What he did not expect was for a random girl to be a pain in his ass.

"This mission is different. Not an elimination mission, but rather an extraction. Bring your target in, and do not fail."

The soldier nodded, his head still pounding from the chair. He was told it was 2019, which seemed like a made up date. From what the soldier had gathered previously, he was from the 1940s. SO he shouldn't have even been alive, let alone doing what he was doing. But there he was being flown to Alaska. His target was a high ranking American official who was visiting a base for an organization known as SHIELD. During his briefing, the soldier was explicitly told that this organization was his enemy, and that, should he be given the opportunity, he would not be punished for taking out as many agents as possible. The soldier kept that information in the back of his mind, but was solely focused on his mission.

Once instate, the soldier quickly surveyed the space he would be working with. The building was massive, spanning nearly three miles in length. But his location was in the center. That was where the man was going to be  - Secretary Thaddeus Ross. Why he was needed was not information that the soldier was privy to.

When night fell, the soldier was ready to execute his mission. The facility would go under low security, so he determined that was the perfect window of opportunity for him. It didn't take much for the soldier to make it through the gate to the compound without being detected. He had been told that SHIELD was a highly developed organization, yet they kept their facility easily accessible. He was beginning to think that this mission was going to be easier than anticipated.

Once near the rear entrance, he became aware of voices. Two in particular.

"Seriously! Jemma told me that they were going to drop the materials off when they stopped by last week! How am I supposed to run lab tests on all of you if I don't have my equipment?"

"Well, Jackie. I told you not to let her borrow our spectrometer. Remember last time? It didn't go so well. Now, will you please help me load the rest of this. I think we only have one more load and if we hurry, we might be able to watch the Bachelorette before Frank ruins it for us again."

The soldier felt his heart start beating rapidly at the sound of the second voice. But he didn't know who it belonged to. A part of him was drawn to it through, as if he was supposed to know her. Despite this, the soldier pushed that feeling aside, sliding inside the building far enough behind the two women to be noticed. He then quickly found his passageway - the one that would lead him directly to where Secretary Ross was to be. But as he made it outside the door, he heard the voice again.