eightytwo

"How can you miss someone you've never seen? Oh, tell me are your eyes brown, blue, or green?"

Song: IDK You Yet by Alexander 23

. . . . .

Maria didn't want to leave Bucky, but she wanted the others to know he was awake. The girl would have shouted it from the rooftops if she could have. So she bolted out of his room without another second of hesitation, only to run into Natasha as she was heading for the room to check on her.

"Woah, woah," the girl said, catching the girl in her arms. "What's wrong?"

"Bucky's awake," Maria replied with a wide smile. Natasha's eyes lit up as she turned and shouted to the rest of the team - all of whom were congregated at the end of the long hallway. They sprinted past her and into the man's room, bombarding him all at once. Maria took a deep breath.

Bucky was okay.

Her emotions bombarded her in overwhelming fashion. There was a happiness that flooded her veins, but that wasn't the only feeling she had. Because there were things - one very specific thing - that she was going to have to tell Bucky. So Maria slid down against the wall and tucked her head between her knees as she processed what she was going to have to do.

After a few moments, the girl felt someone slide down next to her. She lifted her head to see T'Challa sitting there. The king placed his hand on Maria's leg, smiling warmly at her.

"Why so many tears, Maria? He is awake. He is going to be okay."

"I know," sighed the girl. "But now I have to tell him about... about the baby.... He didn't know..."

T'Challa was silent, seeing as this was the first time she had openly spoken about the child she lost to anyone. Maria assumed that he was trying to figure out what he could say to make things better. But that was the issue - there wasn't anything that could cure the situation other than the truth.

"I'm going to break his heart," she brokenly stated. "He is going to be so angry with me."

"Maria, I can promise you that he is going to be happy that you are okay. He might be upset, but he isn't going to hate you."

"You don't understand. I promised him no more secrets. And then I kept the biggest secret from him."

T'Challa stood up, sticking his hand out for the girl to take it. She accepted as he helped her stand. The two began walking back down the hallway towards Bucky's room while T'Challa spoke.

"Honesty is the best thing you can give him, Maria. Just explain what happened. I know it will be okay."

Maria nodded before her old friend walked in front of her. He entered the room and greeted Bucky with a smile. The girl stayed in the doorway - leaning against it with crossed arms. A smile crept along her face as she looked at the room full of people who loved her soulmate almost as much as she did. Everyone was laughing and talking to him as though no time had passed.