onehundredandsix

"No, nothing can come between you and I

"No, nothing can come between you and I."

Song: You & I by One Direction

. . . . .

April 4, 2020

When Maria started to stir, the first thing she noticed was how bright the light was that was shining down on her. It was blinding, and she hadn't even opened her eyes yet. But as the girl started to move, a groan escaped her lips, causing movement inside the room.

"Tony, wake up."

"I am awake, Steve."

"I'm being serious."

"And I'm being serious. Just because my eyes are closed doesn't mean I'm asleep."

"Will the two of you please for the love of God stop talking so loud," Maria said as she opened her eyes. That caught her father's attention. By the time she was fully conscious and sitting up, both of them were standing at her side, looking down at her.

"Kid, you have no idea how happy I am to see you."

"Do you remember anything?"

"Seriously Rogers? Give her a fucking break. She just woke up."

Maria rolled her eyes as she began surveying her body. The girl noticed that all of the wounds that she had endured were practically healed up, meaning that her father must have called in Dr. Cho.

"How long was I out?"

"Four days," said the two men simultaneously.

"Four days? Jesus Christ, how much morphine did Banner give me?"

"Maria, you sustained multiple traumatic wounds-"

"Not to mention the shit ton of toxins that were running through your body."

"You needed time to rest and recover."

"So we made sure you were comfortable."

"But we didn't know how long you were going to sleep."

"Okay, okay. The two of you have to stop finishing each other's sentences. You are both starting to sound like a married couple. Have either of you gotten any sleep?"

"Tony sure has."

The girl's father glared at Steve, causing her to giggle. She couldn't even begin to express how happy she was to see both of them. It had begun to look like she would never get to listen to the two of them lovingly bicker ever again. But Maria's smile soon faded as everything began flooding back into her mind - the memories of the things she had done planting themselves in her head. It must have been obvious, the change in her mood, because the two of them looked at the girl with concern.