ninetynine

"I know you don't believe it, but I said it and I still mean it

"I know you don't believe it, but I said it and I still mean it. When you heard what I told you, when you get worried I'll be your soldier."

Song: Soldier by Gavin Degraw

. . . . .

"Maria, I need to know something," Bucky asked, seriousness thick within his voice. Maria already had an inkling of what he was about to ask her as he held her hand whilst they drove down the long driveway into the Jacobson's farm. "I need to know what's going to happen if this has all been a ruse to get you here."

"It's not-"

"Doll, you're smarter than that. You know as well as I do that there is a chance - a highly probable chance - that Will is just trying to lure you in. He could have his family captive, or worse. And I just need to know what you're going to allow me to do. Because if he tries to come after you, I can't make any promises."

Maria nodded, unwilling to verbally accept what he was saying as facts. Because it was - there was a high probability that this was some big ploy to finally get her.

"I can't kill him," the girl finally whispered as Bucky put the car in park in front of the home. She looked at him, anxiety flooding her system as she spoke. "I- I can't, Bucky. He is... I can't."

He nodded, pulling her close and kissing her forehead. She didn't have to say it - the man knew what she was insinuating. If the time came and Will had to die, Bucky would have to be the one to pull the trigger.

"Breathe, Maria," he mumbled to her gently. She simply nodded and slid out the vehicle at his urging. The girl closed her eyes and inhaled deeply as she prepared herself for whatever she was about to walk into. Showing fear was not an acceptable thing - she had to be brave even in the face of a situation that emotionally scared her more than anything. Upon arrival at the front door, Maria was all but trembling where she stood. Putting on that brave front was harder than it seemed.

"Are we going to look at it all day," Bucky asked in her ear, noting how she was just staring at the front door. When Maria went to lift her shaking fist up, the man grabbed it with a soft smile. "Let me."

Two hard knocks drowned out the silence as Maria stood there, fidgeting with her fingers. In seconds a person appeared - one who was not happy to see her.

"Leave," Clay Jacobson said sternly through the screen door. Maria went to open her mouth, but was effectively cut off by a high-pitched squeal.

"Maria!!"

Lily Jacobson went to rush past her brother, but was stopped by his arm. Maria smiled down to the girl warmly before glancing back to Clay. It was very obvious how he felt about her - the anger and malice in his eyes being clear.