eightyfive

"I'll be here waiting, hoping, paying that this light will guide you home

"I'll be here waiting, hoping, paying that this light will guide you home. When you're feeling lost I'll leave my love hidden in the sun, for when the darkness comes."

Song: When The Darkness Comes by Colbie Callat

. . . . .

"Where is he," Steve asked, completely out of breath as he sprinted to the entrance of the lab. "What happened?"

"Listen, Steven. Before you go in there arm guns-a-blazin', you need to know that this was his decision. He didn't want you to know because he didn't want to worry you."

"Maria. What the hell is going on?"

"Shuri," sighed the girl, pinching the bridge of her nose. "She is going to try to deactivate the words. It was what we came here to do months ago. In order for that to happen, he is going to have to go back under-"

The blonde went to move forward, but the girl placed her hand on his chest. Steve looked down at her as though she had grown another head.

"Are you seriously okay with this?!"

"Yes, I am. Because this means more to him than either of us will ever understand. Bucky is going to be free from the slavery he has been dealing with for decades," Maria argued. "Listen, I didn't call you so that you could yell at him. I called you so that you could see him - you know, your best friend."

Steve seemed to simmer down once he realized Maria was right. None would expect it, but the blonde had his own temper on him. He got so worked up when it came to the people he loved.

"Be nice," she said, turning and leading him into the lab. The two walked in to see Bucky sitting up on the counter in a white outfit and no metal arm. When he looked at Maria, she threw her hands up. "I'm not letting you go under without seeing him. He gets to say goodbye, whether you like it or not."

"Alrighty then," the man replied as he looked at his friend. "Hey, Steve."

"You sure about this?"

"I can't trust my own mind," he responded as the girl jumped up next to him on the counter, taking his hand in hers. "So until they figure out how to get this stuff out of my head, I think going back under is the best thing - for everybody."

"I understand."

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you before. I'm just tired of disappointing people - especially you. I know how hard it was for you all those months when I lost my head. You don't deserve to go through that... neither do I."

"You don't have to explain yourself to me, Buck. You're my best friend - have been since we were two kids in Brooklyn. I just want you to be okay. And if this is what you need to do, you know I'll support you."