sixtythree

"I don't want to wake it up, the devil in me

"I don't want to wake it up, the devil in me."

Song: Devil in Me by Halsey

. . . . .

That confidence Maria had lasted approximately 5 whole minutes before it was crumbling into dust. By the time the two reached the elevator she was standing stiff as a board and refusing to get back on.

"Doll-"

"I think I should have stayed," she said quickly, body riddled with anxiety. "I should- I am going back."

"Maria," Bucky called out quickly as he grabbed her hand. "What are you talking about?"

"Maybe they were right... Maybe I should have stayed in there. Just to keep everyone safe."

"Darling," the man whispered, stepping towards her. "You're not a danger to anyone. There is no one you have to protect, okay? I promise."

"You can't promise that, Bucky," she replied with tears that she didn't think she had formed in her eyes. "Look at what I did to you!"

"It was a few broken bones," Bucky assured her. "Everyone in this compound has had worse."

"Right, but from strangers. Not the person who is supposed to be their friend."

"Maria, it's going to be okay. You aren't going to hurt anyone. I will make sure of that."

"You can't promise that though," sighed Maria. She hated her emotions. She had spent the majority of the last few days sitting in anger at how they treated her. But then she began to wonder if maybe the team had been right. That maybe she had been a threat to all of them. Maria was born as a HYDRA experiment, so whether she liked it or not she had a darkness within her. Maybe everyone had seen that before her. "What are we going to do?"

"What do you mean, doll?"

"I mean what are we going to do about me? The team doesn't trust me. Hell, I don't trust me. I can't stay in that god forsaken chamber anymore, but if I'm being honest I am terrified that I might hurt someone again. I know you are okay, but the next person might not be. I just... I just don't know what to do."

"C'mere, pretty girl," Bucky said warmly, smiling as he pulled her into his arms. "We are going to figure this out. We are Bucky and Maria, and together there is nothing we can't fix."

"But how? I've run through a million options, but I can't find a solution."

"I have an idea, but you need to get into the elevator, okay?"

Maria nodded, following the man into the machine. She stayed close to his side as the man pressed a floor number that wasn't their own.

"Where are we going?"