epilogue

"All I really know is love ain't simple

"All I really know is love ain't simple. It finds you all alone when you're unassembled. Yeah, when you're in pieces and you feel like you're drowning, and you don't wanna give nobody the power. That's when it gets in the cut, and that's when it stitches you up."

Song: This is Us by Jimmie Allen featuring Noah Cyrus

. . . . .

Four years later...

The sunlight coming through the curtains woke Maria up from her restless night of sleep. But it was the smell of breakfast that got her out of bed. She followed the wafting scent of bacon and pancakes all the way into the kitchen. Soft 40s jazz could be heard mingling with the sizzling of the good, as well as the singing coming from one overly happy ex-super soldier.

Maria leaned against the wall as she watched her husband expertly flip pancakes on the griddle. Domestication was a good look for her husband. It didn't take long for him to spot the girl standing there watching him.

"There she is," Bucky said as his smile grew wide - eyes glistening as they connected with hers. The two of them had been together for nearly twelve years, and he somehow still managed to captivate the girl in every way possible. Maria found herself traipsing over to him, sliding in between him and the countertop. Her hands instinctively wrapped around his neck while he leaned down to kiss her. "Good morning, darling."

"Good morning, love. What's the occasion?"

"Can't a man just make breakfast for his family," the man questioned as his hands found their place along the small of Maria's back.

"Hm, I suppose so. Speaking of, where is our not so little girl at?"

"Downstairs," Bucky replied, pecking her lips. He then lowered himself down onto his knees so that his face was level with her ever growing stomach. "Did we behave last night?"

"Only kicked me in the rubs about 84 times," laughed Maria as her husband splayed his hands across her swollen stomach. This action resulted in another swift kick, which Bucky felt. Maria could watch him all day - his smile widening as he was finally getting to experience his wife pregnant.

"Hey there, little man," Bucky scolded with a laugh. "Let's not be beating up on mama."

"He's just excited to be coming out soon. But what can you expect from him? He's just like his namesakes."

"Listen here, William," the man said real low, whispering to his son. "I don't want any trouble out of you."

With that, Bucky stood up and continued on the finishing touches of breakfast. Maria closed her eyes for a moment, letting her hand drift across her midsection so that she could feel her son. William Steven Barnes was already going to be a handful, and he still had a month before his arrival. But he had his mother wrapped around his finger automatically.