eightyseven

"We can live free or die hard

"We can live free or die hard."

Song: Die Hard by Guyz Nite

. . . . .

September 5, 2018

Maria sat snuggly in the corner booth, sipping coffee as her eyes watched the movement of people around her. The girl's laptop sat open - different web browsers pulled up. One about tourist spots. One was solely for the weather. And one was a map of the town. She looked like a regular tourist, trying to map out her next stop.

"Find any good romantic spots sweetheart?"

Maria turned her attention to Streat, trying not to laugh at his attempted use of a pet name. Being undercover with him generally meant that the two of them had to act like a couple. But that didn't mean she was ever going to get used to pretending to be in love with him.

"None so far."

"Aw, honey," he said, reaching across the table for her unused arm. "I'm sure we will find the perfect spot. It's not every day you get to go to Moscow."

When the table behind the two of them left the cafe, the fake couple could finally drop the act in their speech.

"Anyone have a location on our guy yet?"

"Getting close. We have narrowed down our search to a few hundred feet around your location," said Frank over the coms. This was a two person mission, but the rest of the team stayed in the airspace above them in case they needed back up. Stopping the assassination of a major foreign national by a rogue inhanced individual wasn't something that needed a lot of attention, but a few extra hands at the ready wasn't the worst thing, especially considering who it was.

"I'm just saying Maria, we could at least go sight seeing a little bit. Why does it have to be all business every time we go undercover?"

"Because Jim, you just want to see the places where they filmed that horrible movie."

"A Good Day to Die Hard is NOT a horrible movie, Stark. Plus, I'm on vacation!"

"See, I know what you just did there, sliding in another quote as if I wouldn't notice."

"I thought you hated that movie?"

"I do! But you play all five of them on repeat in our apartment. It's idiotic to expect me not to pick up on the lines. I practically have them memorized now."

"Are you two sure you aren't actually in love? Because you bicker like lovers."

"Taj, I am going to pretend like you didn't say that."

"Or what Streat?"

"Or the next time I see you I will-"

"We have confirmation. The target is heading north on foot. This is your window guys."