seventyseven

"I am your worst nightmare

"I am your worst nightmare."

Song: Novocaine by Fall Out Boy

. . . . .

"We are 100% sure this is where they are at? Because if we are wrong-"

"Yes, Natasha. For the 10th time - we are sure," Steve said as he continued piloting the quinjet. The two of them were up in the front as pilot and copilot. Wanda was busy at work, studying the different entrances and making sure she had a plan in place in case things went south. But Maria and Bucky were just sitting and talking - the girl's legs draped over her soulmate's.

"We are going to be okay, Maria."

"I know," smiled the girl. "I'm just sad that we won't get to go back to our beautiful home."

"Who knows," laughed Bucky. "Maybe someday in the future we will be able to go back to it."

"I hope so. I really hate the fact we didn't get to finish our journey through the rooms."

The couple laughed. It had been very light between the two of them externally. Internally, however, they were both a bundle of nerves and anxiety. It was filling them up and seeping throughout the bond, so they were trying to keep their gazes focused on the future - even though it wasn't guaranteed.

"Okay, team," announced Steve over his shoulder. "We are 10 minutes out."

"That's my que for one last pee break," Maria said as she got up and went to the bathroom. Once she was finished doing her business, she took one last look in the mirror. Her hand remained on her stomach as she whispered softly "Hey there, little one. It's me - your mom. What me and daddy are about to do is going to be very dangerous. So I am going to need you to be brave for mommy and sit tight, okay? Once this is all over, I promise you that you will be safe. Mommy and Daddy love you very much."

"Doll," Bucky asked after knocking on the door. "Are you good? We are approaching the base."

"Let's go kick some ass, Buckaroo," the girl replied after opening the door and smiling at him. Bucky pulled her in for a kiss as the girl let her fingers run through his hair. The man tugged her close by the waist while the couple savored every second of what could be their last kiss - the way their lips molded together perfectly, the way they tasted distinctly themselves while complementing one another. It was breathtaking.

All of a sudden, Maria felt a small kick in her stomach. She broke the kiss and looked down as she realized what it was. Her baby had kicked, making her feel like she was on top of the world. It was the first time she had ever actually felt her child inside of her. That moment was one of clarity - reminding the girl what she was fighting for. It was a future she had envisioned for her and her soulmate. One that she was desperate to make come true.