ninetyone

"With a broken heart that's still beating"

Song: Broken by Lifehouse

. . . . .

The mission went smoothly.

Almost too smoothly.

Getting Natasha was easy. She was completely unguarded, with not a single soul in the Moscow compound - not even Will. Maria and Steve got in and out quickly after finally finding her. It had taken weeks to narrow down and find an exact location. Nearly a month had passed once they finally found the girl, but she wasn't as injured as expected. Sure Natasha was battered and bruised, but she had no major injuries. At least none that Maria could determine from her quick scan of the unconscious avenger.

Once Maria had her situated on the metal examining table of the aircraft, she moved to resume her place beside Steve. Though it had been a month, the girl hadn't spoken a word to him. She wasn't mad at the blonde - he really hadn't done anything wrong. She was more mad at her soulmate. But every time that Steve attempted to touch or comfort the girl, she immediately shied away. The memory of the fight between her and Bucky was too strong in her mind - an impactful memory that she couldn't shake.

"You're going to have to talk to him, you know that right," Steve finally said, breaking the silence as the quinjet sped towards Wakanda.

"You really need to work on your conversation skills," muttered Maria. "Because stating completely obvious facts is not the way to go in moments like these."

"And sarcasm is?"

The girl kept her eyes faced forward as she tried not to scream. Her emotions were to heavy for her to want to do anything else. Maria was conflicted and torn - unable to decide what she wanted to do when she arrived to Wakanda. One on hand, she knew she couldn't avoid her soulmate forever. Eventually they would have to speak. The separation would kill them both. But on the other hand, it was incredibly ridiculous for anyone to assume that there would be any circumstances in which Maria rushed back into his arms and simply forgave him when she knew that would be what would happen anyways. It wasn't a secret - Maria could hold a grudge with the best of them. This time, however, it wasn't like she could run away to the Barton's. She had slim pickings as to where she could go that was away from him and away from Secretary Ross's overreaching eyes.

"Jesus," Natasha's voice said as she stumbled into the cab of the jet. Steve turned over and gave her a disapproving look that the now white headed woman waved off. "What happened to the two of you?"

Neither of them said a word, causing the woman to huff as she slid down into her own seat.

"Well, this is exciting. The two of you aren't speaking again? Did Bucky find out about your constant semi-flirtatious behavior or-"